Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most amazing inspirational transformation

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    sorry, im probably miserable.
    I didnt mean any disrespect.
    I didnt think the OP knew the difference between that guy, and someone with an interference to the spinal cord.
    ya im miserable.
    You don't need to apologize. I get tired as well of people sharing stories of how they managed through their "hard work" to get out of a wheelchair and walk. The inference of course is those of is who can't are just lazy instead of the reality that unless there is some sort of medical breakthrough I won't be able to wiggle my little toe much less walk. Of course for people with SCI most of us would just be happy just to have normal bowel functionality not to have to stick our finger up our ass and dig out our crap. Would trade that for walking any day.

I am happy this guy got his life back together, but posting it here as inspiration was a bit insensitive.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You don't need to apologize. I get tired as well of people sharing stories of how they managed through their "hard work" to get out of a wheelchair and walk. The inference of course is those of is who can't are just lazy instead of the reality that unless there is some sort of medical breakthrough I won't be able to wiggle my little toe much less walk. Of course for people with SCI most of us would just be happy just to have normal bowel functionality not to have to stick our finger up our ass and dig out our crap. Would trade that for walking any day.

I am happy this guy got his life back together, but posting it here as inspiration was a bit insensitive.
    agreed. while it took a lot of discipline to lose weight, no amount of yoga is gonna make me walk again. jody, your post wasnt a hint disrespectful.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Isn't this the exercise AND recovery thread? Some folks on this site are getting return and videos of this nature might help them fight through the fatigue and endless work outs they endure in order to maximize their recovery.
    I personally don't need videos of other people for my motivation. But I have always been self motivated. Maybe others may benefit though.
    BTW I do have an SCI, have no bladder control and have to stick my finger in my ass to take a dump as well.
    The presence or absence of these facts has absolutely no bearing on whether or not one dumps un warranted criticism upon someone they do not know.
    I happen to know this guy. He was a member of the 82nd Airborne, served during Desert Storm and his injuries are considered service related.

If it makes one feel good about themselves to dump their negativity upon others, more power to them.

No one has to apologize. This is a free country.

It does show the power of the mind, though. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy and lock ourselves up tight, never to be let loose again.

Though I don't think I'll be walking by morning let alone peeing like a normal person (the biggest bane of paralysis IMO) ... no matter how hard I wish on a star or fall from trying.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Certainly we can all draw inspiration and hope from people determined to recover from all mannerer of psychological and physical challenges: from acne to Zellweger Syndrome (whatever that is, I needed something with a "z").

When Dave got back from rehab we went to the shop he worked out of-mechanical gas piping/construction to thank the guys and owners for everything they did for us when we were gone.
    One of the guys he worked with a lot pulled me aside and told me I'd have to make sure Dave kept working hard so he could walk, that another quad friend of his had "given up and didn't do anything and now was helpless because he did not try."
    This guy meant well, but really all the hard work in the world isn't going to make him walk-much less shit and breathe better when C3 complete.
    Not long after this I saw in the obits where this quad friend had died and read between the lines an bit and came to the conclusion he probably did the best he could after a horrendous accident.
    I have all of the respect (and happiness) in the world for the folk here that eat well and are able to exercise and make progress through hard work. The folk that support their families, are involved in the community, travel or are just nice people to know. You are all awesome.
    But all the inspiration in the world isn't going to help some people who have continual set backs and high level SCI along with some nasty complications and lack of local medical knowledge.
    If that makes me negative so be it.
    I will say my husband is one of the kindest men I've ever known through no effort at all.

Jody, don't you ever apologize for anything sweetie.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    friend of his had "given up and didn't do anything and now was helpless because he did not try."
    My eldest brother said the same to me five years after I was initially paralyzed and I was only 18 ... he said I didn't try hard enough. We didn't speak for over twenty years because of that comment (and also he called me a cripple in the same breath). It was also another reason I left home so young.

Highly insultive and though I've forgiven, I will never forget.

Only with spinal cord injury eh ... do people actually say at funerals, "Well he/she had cancer and just didn't try hard enough to overcome! Didn't eat enough broccoli, didn't pray hard enough ... " Whatevs!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

lynnifer hit the nail on the head.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Keep up the good work! Never give up. Hard work will pay off.

Blessings