Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: ZRA series 2 problems

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    Fully agree with Tooley, your backrest is like mine (when it was broken) around 102° and I fell twice within last month due to this despite being a para and experienced in wheelie. I would not adjust it to 90° as you may have trouble with trunk balance but 95° is reasonable. If you have a smart phone you can find an app that measure angles.
    Have a look at user's manual chapter 4-4 to see how to change the backrest angle.
    92 is my sweet spot, 90 will make you fall forward. raising footrest helps with that too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Smartphone app works well, but I've noticed small variances between it and my angle cube.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm going to adjust the backrest later today. Do you guys think a new chair is really the answer ?

The backrest angle adjustment may also help a little with your seat being too deep.
    Once you get your current chair correctly adjusted, you will start doing more stuff than today and you may find other things that could be improved like as fuentejps said for loading it into your car or for your transfers but it takes time.
    I don't think you would be able to spec a much better chair right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    I'm going to adjust the backrest later today. Do you guys think a new chair is really the answer ?
    imo yes. as dale said i use the iphone/ipod angle app.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'd suggest moving it up before changing the angle. Right now, you are actually more-reclined than your backrest because it isn't providing enough support. Moving it up will bring your trunk more upright. Once it is higher, then you can work on changing the back angle as tolerated. The height of the Acta-Back is also the easier adjustment to make(easier to reverse as well).

The overall objective I think everyone wants to see with respect to the tippiness factor is to bring your shoulders forward so that are more in-line with the rear axle. Currently, they are behind it because you are spilling over the top.

You currently have some asymmetry because the backrest itself is providing only limited support to your lower rib cage. If it is raised, you may not shift laterally as much because your rib cage will be getting more support. If you don't raise the backrest and go right to adjusting the back angle, I have a feeling you will shift even more.

You should only consider getting a new chair after this one is dialed in as much as possible.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 02-07-2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Provided additional explanation.

I'd personally be hesitant to order up a new chair with so much adjustability in your current one. I would take this opportunity to dial in as best I could, using it, tweaking it, etc, for a while.

Your SCI isn't going anywhere, anytime soon, so I would advise patience and use this as a learning opportunity.

That way, your next chair (and there will be many!) will be that much better!

Unless, you are confident about what you'd need (or want) different, right now.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

It's fixed! Raised the actaback and the back angle today! Now it's so stable I'm actually considering changing the COG to make it more maneuverable...if that's even the way to do it? I am so pumped. This is a great community and I thank you all for your help/tips/input. I got more help on CC than I did calling Tilite, going to a local seating clinic, and OTs in my area. Last thing I have to do is find a missing screw for my footplate to lock it in completely and the ZRa problems will all be gone. I'm still leaning back some, but I figured I needed to get used to this new seating arrangement so will just adjust backrest in increments or until I get the Varilite icon. Will post pictures later, right now it's time to get out and about.

Thanks so much,
    Brooks

It's fixed! Raised the actaback and the back angle today! Now it's so stable I'm actually considering changing the COG to make it more maneuverable...if that's even the way to do it?
    Great.

Take your time to experiment your new setup in different conditions (uphill, downhill, eating, transferring, ...) before changing another setting.

Moving the COG forward will improve maneuverability by reducing your chair turning radius and putting more weight on rear wheels but with the risk of getting too tippy.

It's fixed! Raised the actaback and the back angle today! Now it's so stable I'm actually considering changing the COG to make it more maneuverable...if that's even the way to do it? I am so pumped. This is a great community and I thank you all for your help/tips/input. I got more help on CC than I did calling Tilite, going to a local seating clinic, and OTs in my area. Last thing I have to do is find a missing screw for my footplate to lock it in completely and the ZRa problems will all be gone. I'm still leaning back some, but I figured I needed to get used to this new seating arrangement so will just adjust backrest in increments or until I get the Varilite icon. Will post pictures later, right now it's time to get out and about.

Thanks so much,
    Brooks
    Awesome, Brooks! Soon you'll be a gear guru like the rest of us. It's an elite membership.

And here's an idea for you to bookmark. TotoL1 posted this today -- a carbon fiber footplate velcro'd to the footrest tubing. No more fasteners! If the footrest breaks (this happens to ABS plastic) this makes it so much simpler to replace.