Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54

Thread: quickie gpv lighter than new aero-Z

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Do you need that hardware with the Jay3? Could you use it with different hardware? Maybe even try replacing the hardware with velcro like Gordy did for his son's Jay3 back, if you don't need all of the adjustability.

    6000 series aluminum is light, but 7000 series chairs are lighter because its stronger and can be used with thinner tubing (the same reason titanium chairs are lighter, the stronger metal allows thinner tubing.)
    i thought about that too. my back isn't wide enough to catch the bars like his did. i got a 16" back - 17" wide chair. i wanted to be able to go between the bars in case i needed that much depth, which i didn't. that's the reason for extended hardware that i didn't need. it didn't look that big and heavy in the pics i found.

  2. #12
    something else that's strange. i ordered the regular fabric back on my order form but the dme didn't give it to me. they already had the jay3 installed when they brought it to me.

    should i ask for it or is it probly gone by now?

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    something else that's strange. i ordered the regular fabric back on my order form but the dme didn't give it to me. they already had the jay3 installed when they brought it to me.

    should i ask for it or is it probly gone by now?
    Of course, ask for it. It may be just laying there.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    i thought about that too. my back isn't wide enough to catch the bars like his did. i got a 16" back - 17" wide chair. i wanted to be able to go between the bars in case i needed that much depth, which i didn't. that's the reason for extended hardware that i didn't need. it didn't look that big and heavy in the pics i found.
    Yep, I noticed the width differences, so agree that the Velcro idea won't work (btw I ended up adding some very lightweight pipe clamps in addition to the Velcro, given Jeff's warning about the set-up...it has certainly eliminated any extra stress on the back canes, and is still lightweight).

    However, can you remove some of that additional hardware (ie the bits that make it "extended", and also the quick-release part, assuming you don't need those either)? If you can post a photo of the hardware taken from above, we might be able to come up with an alternative solution....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Yep, I noticed the width differences, so agree that the Velcro idea won't work (btw I ended up adding some very lightweight pipe clamps in addition to the Velcro, given Jeff's warning about the set-up...it has certainly eliminated any extra stress on the back canes, and is still lightweight).

    However, can you remove some of that additional hardware (ie the bits that make it "extended", and also the quick-release part, assuming you don't need those either)? If you can post a photo of the hardware taken from above, we might be able to come up with an alternative solution....
    nah that extension part is the whole clamp. the quick release is also built in with the hardware. i'm screwed there. guess i'll ask about the cloth hardware and maybe ebay the jay3 and try an get something lighter.

  6. #16
    are spinergy's much lighter than the shadow wheels?

  7. #17
    there's got to be something. i feel screwed. i'll be 53 when my next chair comes around and i'll probly need power by then, haha. they done f#cked me on my zra last time.

    it sux not living in a big town so i can demo. i live in a 1 stop light town and they don't know demo's....

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    there's got to be something...clip....
    Do you have to have arm rests? According to the chart, removing them will lighten the load 3 lbs which might not include the weight of the brackets.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    644
    Quote Originally Posted by rollin64 View Post
    nah that extension part is the whole clamp. the quick release is also built in with the hardware. i'm screwed there. guess i'll ask about the cloth hardware and maybe ebay the jay3 and try an get something lighter.
    I've just discovered the parts manual for the Jay 3 back:
    http://www.sunparts.us/partscatalog/...manual_jay.pdf

    Have a look on page 59. If you can do without the quick-release function, then this "Lite Mount Hardware" might work for you.

    Alternatively (and cheaper), you might be able to use a couple of pipe clamps, put them round the canes, and attach them to the mounting bracket that's attached to your seat back.
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    I've just discovered the parts manual for the Jay 3 back:
    http://www.sunparts.us/partscatalog/...manual_jay.pdf

    Have a look on page 59. If you can do without the quick-release function, then this "Lite Mount Hardware" might work for you.

    Alternatively (and cheaper), you might be able to use a couple of pipe clamps, put them round the canes, and attach them to the mounting bracket that's attached to your seat back.
    HEY, that's an idea. do you see prices anywhere? i assume i'll have to go thru the dme to buy parts from sunrise or is there an alternative?

    i'm also not exactly understanding what you mean about pipe clamps an all. could you explain a lil better so my years of pot smoking brain cells can understand, haha.

    this was back in my younger years mind you, lol. i don't need the quick release at all.

Similar Threads

  1. Tiite Aero Z vs. Quickie Q7
    By Charlottes Web in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 11:58 PM
  2. on a lighter note...
    By feisty in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 06:36 AM
  3. tilite aero-z / quickie GT
    By rollin64 in forum Equipment
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 06:09 AM
  4. TiLite Aero Z v. Aero R
    By Brianm in forum Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-12-2009, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •