Thread: Monitor issues

Monitor issues

Please bear with me, I'll try to explain the best I can but I am not a computer person.

For the last few weeks my monitor has had these pink vertical lines all over it and sometimes when I am trying to read something on the monitor part of the sentence is smeared or blacked out. I get like black triangles that will longate across the screen blacking out whatever is on the screen. If I move the mouse or move the page up or down it goes away. Not the pink lines but the black triangles and the smeared part.

Tonite, I took the monitor from my daughters computer and hooked it up to my computer, same thing is happening so its not the monitor. So I am now thinking graphics card.

On the side of my computer is a sticker that says radeon HD 6850, is this what I need? I searched for that on ebay and got several different ones ranging all over in prices.

Do you agree the graphics card might be my problem? How hard is it to replace this. I'm not afraid to tear the computer apart, I'm more afraid of getting the wrong part or not being able to put it back together.

Thanks...

What kind of computer is it? That graphics card uses a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot and you can replace it with any card that has that interface. Basically any card on this list: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ss%202.0%20x16

Before I dropped the cash on a new graphics card I would try swapping the cable (I doubt it is the cable but if you have an extra one laying around it can't hurt to try it)

Thanks for the list, the computer is a HP pavilion HPE. I do have another cable so I will try that, good idea! Are you saying its hard to swap out the graphics card?

Just to let you know, I tried a new cable, no go. So I broke down and ordered a new graphics card and after a panic session on trying to figure out how to install it I am now no longer seeing lines all over the screen. It really wasn't that hard to install either. Thanks!