Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Is it legal to take up two regular spots with a HP placard

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    New Mobility mag this month, had an interesting article about this, mentioned different states and how it is handled or how they personally handle it. I drive a 2 door coupe , transfer on the passengers side, so when I park I put a sign in my side window saying:

PLEASE ALLOW .... LARGE WC SYMBOL HERE...... EXTRA SPACE

DRIVER NEEDS FIVE FOOT CLEARANCE TO
    OPEN DOOR WIDE.

IT HAS SUCTION CUP AT THE TOP SO IT IS EASY TO STICK AND REMOVE...BOUGHT IT YEARS AGO FROM SEARS AND IT HAS SERVED ME WELL.
    I think I'll do something like this, it will help out although I'm sure there will be some who don't notice it and still park close, but better than nothing. I have to be so careful with my caddy, the truck is not as much a problem as the doors are 1.5 feet shorter.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I will do the same , I drive a Dodge 2500 pick up truck and the ramp is on the drivers side so it makes it a lot harder o get a spot to park.

So I will pull in 2 spots diagonally so I am able to get in and out . But being in Florida it seems most of the time at the grocery there are never spots open .

The grocery near me only has 4 spots for HC parking.. Which I can figure out because they re paved the parking lot a few years back and before they re-paved they had 8 spots ..

I brought it up to the store manager and she said the building owner re-paved and did what the county sugested . But they made the HC spots really deep so it almost takes up the spots in front that could be used for 2 more places so sometimes I parrallel park there to get to the store..

And a lot of times when I go in the store I just leave the ramp down so people see why I do that .. And never had a problem..

Gary
    T-10 ,,1980,,

Wow, you got a ramp on a p/u truck? That ramp must be about 20ft long, you need a lot of parking spots for that.

j/k assume you mean lift not ramp.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

Ya, must be a ramp lift. It seems like they are taking out hp spots all over the place. It must be because the public is demanding less hp spots and more a/b spots.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

new guidelines for handicap spots means they need to be wider --> less handicap parking
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I think I'll do something like this, it will help out although I'm sure there will be some who don't notice it and still park close, but better than nothing. I have to be so careful with my caddy, the truck is not as much a problem as the doors are 1.5 feet shorter.
    People with Cadillac envy are just looking for an excuse to key your ride. If I were you and the h'cap spot was too narrow I would look for an end spot further away.

I am very careful with my "Caddy" sedan deville. When I can not get a HC spot I will park at the end. Always can use the exercise. Just watch out for the other drivers.

Good advice, I already had somebody damage the windshield, looks like somebody rubbed a ring or something on the glass and scratched the heck out of it right on the drivers side. I'll eventually replace the glass just waiting for something else to happen first, it's not too bad. It happened at a hotel.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

My Van was ticketed for this many years ago, '95 or '96. I'd parked diagonally in the middle of a parking lot that's used for both commuter parking and for people going to a local beach but the commuters always take up many more spaces. I parked in the middle of the lot, far away from the beachgoer parking and there were plenty of empty spaces around me when I parked, it's a very big lot. I figured I wouldn't bother any cops doing this and that when they saw my disabled plates, they'd understand my reason for parking that way. I was wrong, I forget the amount of the ticket, $50ish I think. I was furious! I brought it to the police station the later that day and the cop at the desk tore it up, I didn't have to pay but still a PITA!
    Dan G. in CT

When there aren't any HC spots, I double park. So far I haven't had any problems!
    Incomplete T-12/L-1