Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to take up two regular spots with a HP placard

Is it legal to take up two regular spots with a HP placard

A friend who is a lawyer and a Paraplegic told me this was the case. Maybe it varies by State I dunno?. But the problem is here in Fla is all the HP spots are generally taken and my doors are wide on my Caddy and one regular spot does not allow me enough room to get my wheelchair in and out of the car. Two spots works, but it pisses people off. Any ideas?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i have wide doors and dont take up two spots. i try to park as close to the lines as possible and it gives me room on the driver's side. if no handicap parking, then i take up two spots and put my placard up anyway.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

It would piss me off Curt. Nothing personal, but it would.

Ya, I know probably a good way to get my new caddy keyed. I guess I'll just try to make the best of things and try to find spots that are at the end of the lot or against a curb on the drivers side. All the hp spots are generally always taken, mostly by old walking folks. I feel real bad for people that drive vans with fold down ramps, they are screwed when they can't find a hp spot.

By the way, what do yall think of my new avatar? lol. I'm using that as my profile pic on the online dating sites. Not crazy about the way my hairline is receding, but what are you gonna do, I'm getting old.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    According to the "rules" sheet. In Illinois, it says if no handicap spots are available, you CAN take two regular spots. But some asshole will try and squeeze in next to you, regardless of what you drive or your abilities, the just do it to be assholes, even if it was the farthest two spots in the lot.

I do it all the time. Anybody with a broken nail can get an HP tag here in Virginia. I am rarely able to find an HP spot. Over the years I've gotten some stares but when they see my doors open and the lift deploy, they understand the situation quickly.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Pic's fine Curt. This getting old sucks. What would be worse is a date crawling out the bathroom window b/c you deceived them w/ an old pic!

Curt, I apologize, I thought you meant you would take 2 HC spots.
    We have had to use 2 regular spots when no van HC available. I put a small orange cone next to the ramp, put the placard up and hope for the best.

And your picture looks fine.

No problem, I kinda figured you were misunderstanding me. I do kind of feel funny doing this and very rarely will take up two spots, like once in a blue moon. Like was said, in doing so generally some jerk will slide in the narrow space between the two cars even though the rest of the lot is empty. But it does sound like it's generally legal to do so if it is necessary like my friend said.

Thanks Betheny and Linda. I just feel like I'm in another world or something with the whole online dating thing. I hear the same from just about everybody, everyone just ignores each other. I think a lot of people at my age have just got to the point where they don't really even care and just want to do their everyday thing and go home and watch tv, get drunk, whatever, alone. Mostly I just want friends, but even that is hard to find these days. I dunno what on earth is going on, things are just different today than they use to be. I guess I'm just glad to be alive, I've known so many the past few years who have passed away.

Anyhow, back to topic. Why don't they have both blue and red handicap spots. Blue for those who can walk and are more ambulatory and red for those of us who are more seriously disabled? That would solve a lot of the problem, errrr maybe not, then I guess most everybody would have a blue hp placard and we would be back to square one, lol.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Pic's fine Curt. This getting old sucks. What would be worse is a date crawling out the bathroom window b/c you deceived them w/ an old pic!
    You made me laugh, hopefully I don't look that bad, but I'm starting to wonder. At least I'm getting in pretty awesome shape lately. I really think I just might make an "A" rating in my Tennis, they are working me really hard. I can move on the court so much better the past month. 3 tournaments coming up soon.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred