Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to take up two regular spots with a HP placard

It most counties it is an offense that you can be cited for. I have gotten a ticket for doing so even with my permit displayed. Normally I fight it and it gets dropped to like $25 for the admin fee. But, I guess it depends on the county.
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by russianrob View Post
    It most counties it is an offense that you can be cited for. I have gotten a ticket for doing so even with my permit displayed. Normally I fight it and it gets dropped to like $25 for the admin fee. But, I guess it depends on the county.
    Interesting, I kinda figured it varied greatly. Probably in some states it is the law that it's ok like my friend said. I'm just kinda nervous doing it because somebody may not know my situation and think I'm a jerk just trying to protect my shiney car and key it or something.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Legal or not, I've done it when all the HP spaces are taken. I have a van w/lift, so I need the extra space for the lift. To make sure nobody squeezes in, I normally park at an angle across the two spots. I wish they would/could enforce the "Van Only" HP spaces.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Legal or not, I've done it when all the HP spaces are taken. I have a van w/lift, so I need the extra space for the lift. To make sure nobody squeezes in, I normally park at an angle across the two spots. I wish they would/could enforce the "Van Only" HP spaces.
    I don't have a van, but I need the extra space to safely assemble my chair and get comfortably into it. Doubly so when I'm with the family, and we are in a van, but one of my kids grabs my chair out of the back. That extra space keeps them safer during the process, too.

I wish there were many more spaces.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Huh? I don't think there is any law involved in a parking lot dealing with normal spots, hell, you're lucky if they deal with the HC spots. It may piss people off but don't think it's possible to get ticketed for it. Now, if they are pay-for spots, you would have to pay for 2 I guess.

I do it all the time in my van, and never have gotten ticketed or vandalized, but it is more "visual" that this is a handicap vehicle and maybe that has swayed people from doing damage to it.

When I do it, I always slant so that my passenger side is facing out, this way nobody can park to block my ramp, otherwise they would be parking counter to lines also and possibly sticking out into driving lane. You in a car should park with your front end in the left parking spot and ass end in the right spot, faces your driver side out.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I'm lucky enough to be able to walk a few steps. That makes transfers easy. One of the things I made sure of when I ordered my chair (an Icon with 25" wheels) was that it would fit into the back of my wife's VW Jetta Sportwagon with only the back folded. Not removing the wheels has two benefits: ease of stowing and unloading, and the axles stay a lot cleaner.

I agree with DaleB that it's a lot safer to have space. If there aren't any handicap spots, I'd rather park out further where there are no other cars. Other drivers can see you better when they go by.

I also have no problem being unloaded at the curb before my wife parks, but that doesn't work for those of ya'll who can still drive.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

HC parking is really bad here too. I have noticed that there are alot of walking old hc placard users. The little cars using the van spots. I'd never thought of using two regular spots if there were no hc spots available.

I have been stared down with evil looks when I park in an HC spot until I roll around the edge of the door of the van (not a conversion). Also, when my sister gets the chair from the back if she is driving. She has gotten some nasty comments before from older people until they see her get the chair.

I've even been told by an lady that I was faking and could walk since I couild drive. I ignored her.
    Mimi

I get those looks when I drive my mercedes. I even had someone wait for me blocking me in the space I guess with the intent of confronting me. They watched me roll up, transfer into my car but I had to give them the stinkeye before the moved. I had a handicap tag and everything, but I guess people in wheelchairs aren't supposed to drive nice cars. I don't drive it a lot anyway, the damn chair scratches and chews up stuff no matter how hard you try not to.

Quote Originally Posted by novanoin View Post
    HC parking is really bad here too. I have noticed that there are alot of walking old hc placard users. The little cars using the van spots. I'd never thought of using two regular spots if there were no hc spots available.

I have been stared down with evil looks when I park in an HC spot until I roll around the edge of the door of the van (not a conversion). Also, when my sister gets the chair from the back if she is driving. She has gotten some nasty comments before from older people until they see her get the chair.

I've even been told by an lady that I was faking and could walk since I couild drive. I ignored her.

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff View Post
    Huh? I don't think there is any law involved in a parking lot dealing with normal spots, hell, you're lucky if they deal with the HC spots. It may piss people off but don't think it's possible to get ticketed for it. Now, if they are pay-for spots, you would have to pay for 2 I guess.

I do it all the time in my van, and never have gotten ticketed or vandalized, but it is more "visual" that this is a handicap vehicle and maybe that has swayed people from doing damage to it.

When I do it, I always slant so that my passenger side is facing out, this way nobody can park to block my ramp, otherwise they would be parking counter to lines also and possibly sticking out into driving lane. You in a car should park with your front end in the left parking spot and ass end in the right spot, faces your driver side out.
    Regularly you can get a ticket for parking outside the painted lines, but with a HP placard, more than likely not I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

A word of caution to those new to chairs who park far from store entrance. One of the main features of a properly designed handicap parking space is that it gives you a safe, accessible pathway between your car and the sidewalk.

Anyone who has ever backed into a short post or other object beneath your line of sight should recognize the danger you expose yourself to when rolling behind parked cars. Be extra careful rolling behind taller vehicles. You are also at risk from turning cars, and drivers just looking over your head. Lots of fender benders happen in parking lots. Tells you something about the chance of getting run over in a chair.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg