Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it legal to take up two regular spots with a HP placard

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Regularly you can get a ticket for parking outside the painted lines, but with a HP placard, more than likely not I guess.

I think that law would be enforced on public streets not parking lots. Around here parking lots are considered private property and never patrolled for that and the law only called for fender benders and hc spot abuse.
    DIGG.

Don't know why you'd get busted for useing two spots. Corvette guys always use four. I use about nine when I park the motorhome pulling the jeep and about a dozen with the race trailer on the back.

A friend who is a lawyer and a Paraplegic told me this was the case. Maybe it varies by State I dunno?. But the problem is here in Fla is all the HP spots are generally taken and my doors are wide on my Caddy and one regular spot does not allow me enough room to get my wheelchair in and out of the car. Two spots works, but it pisses people off. Any ideas?
    when the handicaps are full, or not a van accessible handicap available, i'll pull out some and take two, never had a problem
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I get those looks when I drive my mercedes. I even had someone wait for me blocking me in the space I guess with the intent of confronting me. They watched me roll up, transfer into my car but I had to give them the stinkeye before the moved. I had a handicap tag and everything, but I guess people in wheelchairs aren't supposed to drive nice cars. I don't drive it a lot anyway, the damn chair scratches and chews up stuff no matter how hard you try not to.

T8....your reaction is not uncommon, but I think you miss the point.

Someone too the time of day to try to enforce HC rules....for US!!!

That is a GOOD thing...!

Ok, so they made some incorrect assumptions about YOU. But don't discourage them from taking a stand on our behalf...

I get the stinkeye from time to time, when I first pull up. And I am grateful for this. We need more people giving us the stinkeye.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    T8....your reaction is not uncommon, but I think you miss the point.

Someone too the time of day to try to enforce HC rules....for US!!!

That is a GOOD thing...!

Ok, so they made some incorrect assumptions about YOU. But don't discourage them from taking a stand on our behalf...

I get the stinkeye from time to time, when I first pull up. And I am grateful for this. We need more people giving us the stinkeye.
    I am pretty sure t8 was talking about parking in two reg spots because there were no HP spots left to park in. Which is what the OP is talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    I am pretty sure t8 was talking about parking in two reg spots because there were no HP spots left to park in. Which is what the OP is talking about.

So, I misunderstood something???!!
    ...unlikely

...please ignore my comment then

I'd be willing to bet that if a policeman was patrolling a parking lot and saw one of us double parked, he would be quicker to write us a ticket, than someone who is illegally parked in handicapped parking.

Thumbs up Space needed

New Mobility mag this month, had an interesting article about this, mentioned different states and how it is handled or how they personally handle it. I drive a 2 door coupe , transfer on the passengers side, so when I park I put a sign in my side window saying:

PLEASE ALLOW .... LARGE WC SYMBOL HERE...... EXTRA SPACE

DRIVER NEEDS FIVE FOOT CLEARANCE TO
    OPEN DOOR WIDE.

IT HAS SUCTION CUP AT THE TOP SO IT IS EASY TO STICK AND REMOVE...BOUGHT IT YEARS AGO FROM SEARS AND IT HAS SERVED ME WELL.
    Last edited by Helga; 02-04-2013 at 10:38 PM. Reason: SPACING
    Helga

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post
    New Mobility mag this month, had an interesting article about this, mentioned different states and how it is handled or how they personally handle it. I drive a 2 door coupe , transfer on the passengers side, so when I park I put a sign in my side window saying:

OPEN DOOR WIDE.

IT HAS SUCTION CUP AT THE TOP SO IT IS EASY TO STICK AND REMOVE...BOUGHT IT YEARS AGO FROM SEARS AND IT HAS SERVED ME WELL.
    Thats a good idea
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Anyhow, back to topic. Why don't they have both blue and red handicap spots. Blue for those who can walk and are more ambulatory and red for those of us who are more seriously disabled? That would solve a lot of the problem, errrr maybe not, then I guess most everybody would have a blue hp placard and we would be back to square one, lol.
    Here we have red and blue placards, the red placards are the temporarily disabled like a broken leg.

I'm much more seriously disabled when I'm NOT in my wheelchair. If I'm walking I'm very limited on distance, and weather affects me strongly. In the chair I can make it MUCH further, but of course have to worry about space to unload the chair and not being hit by a car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    A word of caution to those new to chairs who park far from store entrance. One of the main features of a properly designed handicap parking space is that it gives you a safe, accessible pathway between your car and the sidewalk.

Anyone who has ever backed into a short post or other object beneath your line of sight should recognize the danger you expose yourself to when rolling behind parked cars. Be extra careful rolling behind taller vehicles. You are also at risk from turning cars, and drivers just looking over your head. Lots of fender benders happen in parking lots. Tells you something about the chance of getting run over in a chair.
    I've seen it happen in a walmart parking lot. A double amputee plus SCI was hit by the vehicle in front of me turning down an isle. He was knocked out of his chair, him going one direction and the chair the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Helga View Post

OPEN DOOR WIDE.

Great idea! I've seen some vehicles have magnets or stickers
    saying that they have a ramp and please do not block them in. A sign you can put up and down is so much easier.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.