Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning a Wheelchair???

Returning a Wheelchair???

I got a new wheelchair about 2 months ago. It was paid for by my private insurance. I'm not really liking the chair and would like to return it and choose another. I believe I heard that you have the right to return a chair within the first 12 months, as the chair is really only rented during that time. Is this correct and will I be able to return the chair without a hassle?

My heart says, "I sure hope your DME is a decent human being."

My head says, "Depends on the policy of your reseller and the manufacturer."

My gut says, "Good f'in luck".

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    even with power wheelchairs(never mentioned the type you have) most people have many "custom" features that cannot be returned. unless you have some crappy thing like a hoveround.

Quote Originally Posted by tarantella View Post
    I got a new wheelchair about 2 months ago. It was paid for by my private insurance. I'm not really liking the chair and would like to return it and choose another. I believe I heard that you have the right to return a chair within the first 12 months, as the chair is really only rented during that time. Is this correct and will I be able to return the chair without a hassle?
    I think you are confusing proposed changes to Medicare and wheelchairs with private insurance. Your private insurance company bought that chair unless you were explicitly told otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    My heart says, "I sure hope your DME is a decent human being."

My head says, "Depends on the policy of your reseller and the manufacturer."

My gut says, "Good f'in luck".
    Agree with Dale.
    Last edited by voxina; 02-01-2013 at 05:18 PM.
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

The big question: what kind of chair is it?

If it's custom, you're likely SOL for a return.

If some adjustments can be made, it may be able to be more "likable."

ok, thanks for the replies...it's a real basic chair without custom modifications. it's a golden technologies golden compass wheelchair. i've found that it doesn't maneuver through my doorways and house as well as I'd hoped. the stitching on the seat is already tearing. i'm pretty sure they would replace the seat, but i'm also pretty sure the next would do the same thing. so i was just interested in seeing if i could return it. after reading your responses, i'm also starting to feel like i might just have to get used to this chair. it's not horrible, just thought i might check into a different one if that was a possibility. i'll contact the DME and see what they say. if nothing else i will sure complain about the stitching ripping after about a month of use.

It's a $2000 piece of crap power wheelchair for lazy people who don't want to walk use. Can't belive they would even sell you such a piece and doubt they will take it back after 2 months of use.
    If you're a T3, why are you not using a good custom manual chair?

yea, it's nothing special but all that insurance will pay for me as a para. hopefully they will at least replace the seat.

yea, it's nothing special but all that insurance will pay for me as a para. hopefully they will at least replace the seat.
    You must need new insurance and better docs/ PT to prescribe what you need, not what insurance wants to pay for.