Thread: Mac aficionados, can you help?

Mac aficionados, can you help?

my iMac freezes ever since i partioned the hard drive a few years ago. Tech support was baffled. Last suggestion from them was wipe the hard drive and start from scratch they claimed time machine would restore all programs. didn't buy that, and i wasn't willing to lose all the neat stuff this thing had on it.

my PC is in getting a new hard drive, so I decided it was time to take the risk. Wiped the drive last night and time machine did a great job while I slept, but the puter was frozen when I checked this morn. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Could be disc is full. My sister did this and I had to disable journal.
    First try booting off CD or net and then running diskutil analyse and repair. If its still bad repeat and then remove journal. Time to look at migrating to larger disc? Getting rid of BOOTCAMP gets you more space.

HD is only 1/3 full.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey56 View Post
    HD is only 1/3 full.
    Journal file systems usually only get evil when the volume (partition) used is about 1/2 full or more. This is the volume not the whole HD.

When you create another partition you have to wait for it to resize. If this did not complete for any reason then it will be corrupt. Boot install and then run diskutil analyse and if any errors repair, but don't repair permissions unless Apple tells you to.

You may also need to do diskutil analyse and if errors repair if you at some stage you have not shut down properly or the system crashed.