Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walmart parking.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    You have a telephone -scott-?

You have a computer write a letter to your building inspector. Don't be so dumb! You have a master's degree. Use it!

The first line of action is to call your local city hall and talk with the building inspector.

Writing the Department of Justice for ADA complaint is a wrong approach.

If your building inspector is ineffective then call the police and put in a complaint.

If nothing happens call 1-800-WALMART. Yes that is a true telephone number to WalMart headquarters. Put in a compliant there.

If nothing happens put in ADA complaint to the Department of Justice.

If all else fails, make your own parking space right in front of the store. I have done that at our local Giant Eagle grocery store and the store manager said nothing.

Ti
    I'm actually using my degree in more effective ways to address accessibility issues than policing the ADA.

The local building inspector's parking lot is on a hill that's steeper than ADA specs. They're not going to jump to drop tens of thousands to re-grade it because of a little complaint. There are other angles we're working with.

The idea of getting the law involved and then suggesting parking right in front of a store (which will likely be in the middle of traffic flow or a fire lane) makes no sense to me.

In the moment, if I need to get into a store when no ADA spots are available, I'm just going to double-park a little further away. Not. A. Big. Deal.
    Last edited by -scott-; 02-03-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: PM request

I went to Wal-Mart again today, and I realized that I made a mistake as to the number of handicapped parking spaces. There are actually at least six more that I could see, making a total of about ten. I didn’t notice these slots the last time I was there because the cars that were parked there covered up the handicapped signs on the pavement. There were no signs there at the time. Today however, there is one sign that is shared by all six of these spaces.

The remaining four handicapped spaces all have a sign of their own, which are also all new. I’m wondering if this is Wal-Mart’s “fix” to my complaint, adding these signs. I don’t know. I would much rather see crosshatches and more space.

On one side of the parking lot, there is one other handicapped slot located all by itself. I just happened to notice it on my way out. It has crosshatches and a sign. So now that makes a total of about eleven.
    Last edited by Sugarcube; 02-06-2013 at 01:13 AM.

I have been feeling really badly about posting this thread. I should have made sure that I had all of the facts straight, before deciding to post it. I never intended to mislead anyone, but it appears that I did. To all of you who supported me and took the time to respond to my posts, I am very sorry. To all of you who read this and supported me in silence, I am sorry to you too. I was wrong. I don’t know what else to say. This will not happen again.

Several points have been made that I would like to address.

1. Being careful when you travel between your parked car and the relative safety of a sidewalk shouldn't be a topic of controversy.

2. A prerequisite to filing an ADA complaint is to have exhausted local solutions. That's the law.

3. Many of us can overcome barriers without adaptations required by the ADA. Seeking compliance with the law doesn't mean we reject other solutions or forego activities while we wait for a social Utopia to be created.

4. Without a lot of hard work by decades of advocates, the world of those with disabilities would be a HELL of a lot smaller and their life would be ENORMOUSLY harder.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Don't let a mistake hinder you from posting like this again. I think it's something we all need to stay on top of too keep it going right.

About your previous thread and making a mistake about the number, I think they are suppose to put a sign for each space, precisely for the reason you did not see them (but I am not 100% sure about that).

Where we live in Holland, it is getting better with handicapped parking, but still not nearly as good as the US. Maybe someday....

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    I have been feeling really badly about posting this thread. I should have made sure that I had all of the facts straight, before deciding to post it. I never intended to mislead anyone, but it appears that I did. To all of you who supported me and took the time to respond to my posts, I am very sorry. To all of you who read this and supported me in silence, I am sorry to you too. I was wrong. I don’t know what else to say. This will not happen again.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Several points have been made that I would like to address.

1. Being careful when you travel between your parked car and the relative safety of a sidewalk shouldn't be a topic of controversy.

2. A prerequisite to filing an ADA complaint is to have exhausted local solutions. That's the law.

3. Many of us can overcome barriers without adaptations required by the ADA. Seeking compliance with the law doesn't mean we reject other solutions or forego activities while we wait for a social Utopia to be created.

4. Without a lot of hard work by decades of advocates, the world of those with disabilities would be a HELL of a lot smaller and their life would be ENORMOUSLY harder.
    This is good. At least something positive did come from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Don't let a mistake hinder you from posting like this again. I think it's something we all need to stay on top of too keep it going right.

About your previous thread and making a mistake about the number, I think they are suppose to put a sign for each space, precisely for the reason you did not see them (but I am not 100% sure about that).

Where we live in Holland, it is getting better with handicapped parking, but still not nearly as good as the US. Maybe someday....
    Thank you for saying this. I believe you are right. I think there are supposed to be crosshatches as well. I doubt there is much I can do about it though.

I just wanted to give everyone an update. As of yesterday, I decided that I am not going to let this go. I went to Wal-Mart again yesterday got a little steamed. It wasn’t just me this time that had a problem with the parking. There was another person there with a chair topper doing the same thing I was; driving aimlessly around the parking lot trying to get an open end slot. I felt like I was in grade school again playing musical chairs, except instead of struggling to be the first to get the chair, we were vying for that precious parking space. I decided to leave the store and go someplace else, because the rest of the parking lot was full.

I left there thinking something needs to be done. As we were driving around, I noticed that about half of the spaces had no placards or handicap plates. That is only part of the problem. The spaces themselves need to be ADA compliant in order for wheelers to use them in the first place. So, if I can help to fix at least one of the two problems, it should count for something. Anyway I decided to start by putting things in writing and giving Wal-Mart a chance to respond. I will also be calling again on Monday. If that doesn’t work, then I will file a complaint with the DOJ to see if that helps. Please let me know if you think I am going about this in the right way or if I need to try something else.

If you would like to see a copy of what I wrote to Wal-Mart, let me know.

Call you local, city or county building inspector. Fill a formal complaint wiith them. I think in florida its what old people do for grins. I get about one letter a month bitching about my property.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Call you local, city or county building inspector. Fill a formal complaint wiith them. I think in florida its what old people do for grins. I get about one letter a month bitching about my property.
    I've been trying. He is one hard person to get in contact with. I will keep at it, thanks.