Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Walmart parking.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    If building inspectors or ADA compliance officers were effective, our communities would be much more accessible. The local building inspector's office in the city I live in doesn't even have a ADA-compliant parking lot.

Come on, really? Pushing a little further through a parking lot makes someone a super gimp? Paying attention makes someone a super gimp? Barriers and hazards exist everywhere, far beyond parking lots.

Yeah, keep the DOJ on speed dial & don't get out of your vehicle. See how well that works next time you just need to make a 2 minute trip into wally world. I'm not saying to ignore the issue by any means, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get a task done.

p.s. the guy in the video could've avoided being hit by paying attention. He didn't have a deficit to keep him from doing so, else he wouldn't have been driving independently.
    ) lol true point. I do agree with you on all points. He should have been looking..I do push through lots on occasion, but it makes it hard and slow..as you have to MAKE SURE they are NOT pullling out and SEE you..before proceeding. It is dangerous for us to be behind cars..

I meant more that it makes us "super gimps" to refuse or act as if we do not need to appreciate the ADA by working to enforce it. To this point..the "PUSH GIRLS", while I love the show..never seem to use a ramp and go out of their way to get nails done at non accessible salons. Kinda annoying honestly. probably cause I can't jump curbs and the years of hard work and dedication to fight for these "benefits"
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

The ADA is something I have been proud of for the US, and I only hope it happens in other countries more. I am disappointed to hear that there is a lack of enforcement of it. Yes, depressing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Why is the lack of ADA enforcement/inspection falling short? I find it depressing.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Department of Justice.

http://www.ada.gov/enforce.htm
    Still not that simple, the DOJ handles the ADA but you have to find someone local to enforce it such as a lawyer who handles ADA law to sue the store.

I agree that its not always possible to just push through the parking lot. For me I have a lot of difficulty pushing on that surface, plus at my local walmart its slightly uphill to the store and if I parked further away I wouldn't be able to make it in the store. Even parking in the HC spaces I usually need to stop and rest a couple minutes once I've gotten inside. And like Linda, its damn cold here right now! The cold triggers my arthritis and asthma. In the summer the heat triggers my heart condition. I REALLY need to move somewhere mild year round!!
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Or, just go to Target, lol.
    I was going to suggest Target too, but they don't have many HC parking spaces.

Maybe, this is only temporary since its going thru renovations. I can't see a Wal-mart with only 4 HC spaces. Every wal-mart I've been to has atleast 12 or more spaces at each entrance. Definitely find out what the deal is though.

I think Target and Walmart both have great customer service. I've had employees offer to assist (push my cart/grab items) me when I'm shopping, but I usually just have them take my bags out to my car. For the time being take them up on the offer to assist you.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

There is no phone number that I could find that leads you directly to corporate. The website does have has link for corporate but when it is clicked on, it leads you to the 1800-Walmart phone number. lol So, I called that number. An automated answering system answered my call. I have to say, I absolutely hate automated answering systems. I would much rather speak with a live person. Anyway, after pushing 1 for this and 2 for that etc, I was put on hold for about 10 minutes for the “next available representative.”

I told the man who answered the phone that I would like to make a complaint. He took down all of my information and promised that he would get it to the proper authorities. He said that someone should be contacting me within the next 3-5 days with some information. Then, I said something that I probably shouldn’t have. I was polite about it, but maybe I should have waited and given them a chance to correct things first, I don’t know. Anyway, I said “Please let them know that I am not going to let this go. I will contact the media if I have to, and I will also get the Department of Justice involved, if it is necessary.” The man was silent for a few seconds. I think he was writing it down. Then he repeated the fact that I will be hearing from someone within a few days. I said Thank you and that was it. Now, I guess I will just wait for the 3-5 days and see what happens.

I want to say thank you to all of you who have been so supportive of me in this. Without you, I don’t think I would be pursuing this at all. Sometimes all it takes is a little push. I appreciate it. Really, I do.

IsMaisin, this is all great advice. Thanks. Its funny the link for the “ethics” department also directs you to the 1800-Walmart phone number.

Curt, LOL I think you are right Target may be the way to go.

Scott, I agree with you about the double parking. I have done that many times before. Right now the parking lot is so messed up I don’t think it would be safe for someone who is using a power wheelchair though.

I am sure being hot with a nice rack has nothing to do with that at all My walmart experience is not as friendly. That being said Wally World is usually one of the most accessible places to shop. The one near my farm did the regular to super renovation and it cut down on the number of HC spots but it wasn't as bad as Sugarcube, there were still spots with spaces for ramp/getting your wheelchair out.

Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I think Target and Walmart both have great customer service. I've had employees offer to assist (push my cart/grab items) me when I'm shopping, but I usually just have them take my bags out to my car. For the time being take them up on the offer to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    My walmart experience is not as friendly.
    Bummer! Your face is nice, maybe you need a bigger rack. Lately I find myself going to target more, probably because it's not as busy as wal-mart and better stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    ) lol true point. I do agree with you on all points. He should have been looking..I do push through lots on occasion, but it makes it hard and slow..as you have to MAKE SURE they are NOT pullling out and SEE you..before proceeding. It is dangerous for us to be behind cars..

I meant more that it makes us "super gimps" to refuse or act as if we do not need to appreciate the ADA by working to enforce it. To this point..the "PUSH GIRLS", while I love the show..never seem to use a ramp and go out of their way to get nails done at non accessible salons. Kinda annoying honestly. probably cause I can't jump curbs and the years of hard work and dedication to fight for these "benefits"
    I seen that video before and wondered why he was so close to the back of cars. I would think a wc person could roll in the middle so a driver backing up would see them. I've had to park in a regular spot and roll in the street, I moved out of the way when a car had to go by, they also waited for me.

I do think its so important to speak up like the OP has, I admit I'm not a very good advocate and probably wouldn't have taken the time. When I started school, the parking was so bad I was late every time for my class. Someone must have complained (I did'nt) because I seen less violators using the hc parking. Speaking up does work.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Department of Justice.

http://www.ada.gov/enforce.htm

Don't ever believe or accept that it's too late to correct non-compliant work.
    Apparently, you are correct. This post prompted me to do some research. Even while under construction, a business is still required to meet ada standards, if they remain open for business. Interesting, have a look at the link below...and thank you!! They may be repainting those handicapped spots after all...

http://www.ada.gov/error.htm

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    If building inspectors or ADA compliance officers were effective, our communities would be much more accessible. The local building inspector's office in the city I live in doesn't even have a ADA-compliant parking lot.

Come on, really? Pushing a little further through a parking lot makes someone a super gimp? Paying attention makes someone a super gimp? Barriers and hazards exist everywhere, far beyond parking lots.

Yeah, keep the DOJ on speed dial & don't get out of your vehicle. See how well that works next time you just need to make a 2 minute trip into wally world. I'm not saying to ignore the issue by any means, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get a task done.

p.s. the guy in the video could've avoided being hit by paying attention. He didn't have a deficit to keep him from doing so, else he wouldn't have been driving independently.
    You have a telephone -scott-?

You have a computer write a letter to your building inspector. Don't be so dumb! You have a master's degree. Use it!

The first line of action is to call your local city hall and talk with the building inspector.

Writing the Department of Justice for ADA complaint is a wrong approach.

If your building inspector is ineffective then call the police and put in a complaint.

If nothing happens call 1-800-WALMART. Yes that is a true telephone number to WalMart headquarters. Put in a compliant there.

If nothing happens put in ADA complaint to the Department of Justice.

If all else fails, make your own parking space right in front of the store. I have done that at our local Giant Eagle grocery store and the store manager said nothing.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."