I think your approach is way too soft IsMaisin. Technically the OP is already in a position to file a discrimination claim. I think at this point, everything should be done only in writing (no telephone calls) and should be straight forward and business like, and not us the "Velvet Glove".

This is a law they are breaking, and it has put the OP in potential danger, and should not be tolerated. I could understand if it was a small mom-n-pop business that I might deal with it a bit differently, in deference to them maybe not knowing, but this is Walmart for f**k sake! They have a team of corporate lawyers ready and waiting for these kind of situations.

I would also document the potential danger you were in and the amount of time you put into this, because they may just write you a letter asking what you want for compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
My suggestion (with decades of experience in speaking to bureaucrats):

You need to do some research to find the right person to approach, and you need to carefully approach that person.

•Go take some pictures of the current setup. Have something easily identifiable as a size measure (a shopping cart?) in the picture.
•Measure the width, length, and spacing. Also note the number of spots compared to the total number of spots in the lot.
•Go here to contact the Walmart Ethics Office.
•The Velvet Glove. Be polite, be reasonable, state facts. Explain that your ramp is typical and that it needs X amount of space to use. Remind them gently that the ADA is a law not a guideline. Leave them a way to contact you personally by phone if possible - at this level of corporate, giving out details will not get you spam.
•The Iron Fist. If you get no response in a reasonable amount of time, or if you get blown off, contact your local TV station. It's a lot cheeper than a lawyer, and the media loves to make big corporations look bad. If you go in with your facts and a by name and dated list of exactly who you have talked to, you have all they need to make a spot that might just go national.

The more hard facts you can hand to others, the better your chances. Hopefully corporate will instantly realize the potential publicity nightmare and flat out order the store lot repainted immediately.

No matter what happens, stay polite and gracious. You want to make sure in any potential case that yours is the voice of reason.

Finally, my two cents, the local store may and should have covered itself in the subcontracting that all work was to be compliant with building codes and law. This obviously isn't. The store might even be able to force the inept subcontractor to redo the work (unless the store signed off on a bad plan.)