Thread: Arthritis and Tylenol Arthritis formula

Arthritis and Tylenol Arthritis formula

I've had osteo-arthritis in my toes for about 15 years. Hurts a bit more in winter but dealable. This year though my contracted right hand is giving me serious grief. I can't take NSAIDs unless truly needed and only short term due to acid reflux and heartburn. Been through this with a couple of doctors and it runs in the family. I'll be swapping up from Tums to a daily med to prevent the reflux this year. So, when I need a non-narcotic pain reliever it's Tylenol. Has anyone had success with the newer Arthritis Formula for osteo-arthritis? Any other non-NSAID ideas? And this is a chronic problem. Did splints, ultrasound under water, the weird machine with warmed husks in it, parafin, serial casting and botox. Thanks for any and all ideas. Oh, yes, a warmed rice heat pad helps some.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Can't help with the Tylanol. But I can say that the Generic version of Arthotec is the bomb for arthritis pain. Its even easy on the stomach.

{they support the function of platelets that are necessary for the clotting of blood, and protect the lining of the stomach from the damaging effects of acid.}

As someone that's worked hard outdoors with my hands twisting wrenches to building house's etc for 40 yrs This has been a godsend.

It's $4.00 script for 30 day supply at Walmart

you can read about it here
    Last edited by DIGGER; 02-01-2013 at 02:18 AM.
    DIGG.

Have you ever tried voltaren gel? Its a NSAID but since its topical it doesn't cause the same stomach issues. A LOT would have to be used before it would start affecting your stomach. I can't use oral NSAIDs due to a NSAID related ulcer. I've been using voltaren gel for years now without it making my stomach worse, though I do also take prilosec for reflux/esophagitis/gastritis.

Voltaren gel works great on small joints, and how helpful it is decreases as the joint size increases. It works wonderful on my fingers and starts helping quite fast after application as well

Do you take any supplements for arthritis? Like glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm? If so make sure you're taking high enough doses to be therapeutic. Whats recommended is minimum 1500 glucosamine, 1000 chondroitin, and 500 msm.

Looking at tylenol arthritis is still just tylenol and no additional ingredients. The only difference is dosage, 650mg compared to 500 in the extra strength. Since I take 2 extra strength for a total of 1000mg taking the arthritis would be a step down, so compare how much you usually take of tylenol first.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by DIGGER View Post
    Can't help with the Tylanol. But I can say that the Generic version of Arthotec is the bomb for arthritis pain. Its even easy on the stomach.

{they support the function of platelets that are necessary for the clotting of blood, and protect the lining of the stomach from the damaging effects of acid.}

As someone that's worked hard outdoors with my hands twisting wrenches to building house's etc for 40 yrs This has been a godsend.

It's $4.00 script for 30 day supply at Walmart

you can read about it here
    This sounded so good until they got to diahhrea. I also have IBS that I take cholestrymine for and it's not for the constipation version. I will tell my Aunt about this though because she has osteo from age and can't take other NSAIDs either. Thanks!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Lin View Post
    Have you ever tried voltaren gel? Its a NSAID but since its topical it doesn't cause the same stomach issues. A LOT would have to be used before it would start affecting your stomach. I can't use oral NSAIDs due to a NSAID related ulcer. I've been using voltaren gel for years now without it making my stomach worse, though I do also take prilosec for reflux/esophagitis/gastritis.

Voltaren gel works great on small joints, and how helpful it is decreases as the joint size increases. It works wonderful on my fingers and starts helping quite fast after application as well

Do you take any supplements for arthritis? Like glucosamine, chondroitin, and msm? If so make sure you're taking high enough doses to be therapeutic. Whats recommended is minimum 1500 glucosamine, 1000 chondroitin, and 500 msm.

Looking at tylenol arthritis is still just tylenol and no additional ingredients. The only difference is dosage, 650mg compared to 500 in the extra strength. Since I take 2 extra strength for a total of 1000mg taking the arthritis would be a step down, so compare how much you usually take of tylenol first.
    I take Osteo-Biflex and 500 mg a day of L-Lysine for maintaining healthy mucous membranes. And I didn't see anything in their arthritis formula that sounded anti-inflammatory to me either. I tried 1500 mg once of Tylenol and it didn't help at all. I'll ask my doc about this though. I thought about the roll on version of the hot pepper stuff but the hands are not a good area for its use. This way of delivery for Voltaren might just work and yes, it's the joints in my fingers and thumb. Hurts like a bear lately. Thanks!