Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Stimulatior

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Spinal Cord Stimulatior

I went the pain clinic today for what I thought would be A shot into my sciatic nerve. After some discussion that procedure got pushed aside because I'd have it done a few years back with no success..

So he wants me to try a spinal cord stimulator by Saint Jude medical company.. I have a Brochure and CD-ROM to watch plus they have people who have had it done that you can talk to however those are the success stories what about the unsuccessful ones. .

Any opinions on these things? I know everyone is different and I need to do or try something that might help even just a little..

He also increased my lyrica to 300mg a day and I have oxycodone.. I know I've been posting alot lately and I apologize I'm just frustrated and scared I've ran out of john Wayne courage!!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

No advice ... but it can't hurt to try? Wishing you success with it!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks lynnifer,

I find it strange that I have to see a shrink in order to have this 5 day test. I just don't know if it help with cental pain. grasping at straws grasping at straws it's all I seem to do anymore..

Cowboy - I'm taking 450 mg Lyrica in 3 divided doses. You can go up to 600 a day so it is worth trying. I switched to Nortriptyline from Amitriptyline. I'm on 30 mg /day. I also started for chronic neuropathic pain Clonidine which is a sympathetic blocker - there is evidence that it may help. Maybe talk to your pain doc about those drugs. I am still trying to find a way to tolerate all this central and peripheral neuropathic pain. You sound close to desperate - I am sorry. But now you should try to make it tolerable however you can. Maybe the SC stimulator will help. I don't know much about the success rate.

I was sent to to a pm dr. a couple years ago for a consultation about a stimulator. After talking with a few people here and a couple other things I decided against it. Do a search here about the stimulators and maybe you could find my old thread about it. If i had time i would but have to get off of here to fast this am, Hope it helps you!!!

arndog, thanks for sharing I'm going to bring up to those medications to my pain Dr. On my next visit to which I hope it as soon I'm waiting to hear back from them. I don't know why he's never mentioned trying other medications along with the lyrica. He's never had a spinal cord injured patient before but that shouldn't make a difference central nueropathic pain can happen in any one can't it?

By the way now I have to another dilemma, I went in for a seat cushion eval today in hopes of maybe a new cushion would help alleviate some of my back pain I sit on ride design. Anyhow after much discussion with a roomful of therapists one of them familiar with my situation from years back want me to try therapy for four or five sessions along with changing the way I sleep so there's less stress on my spine and hip which are awfully painful.

I'm being pulled in so many different directions I don't know which way to turn. Try them all I guess the only other option is taking a header into the local swimming pool that opens in june. I know that's selfish and not the way one should think however when life is filled with this much constant pain it's just not worth living.

That's just the way it is nobody said life was fair!

From everyone i talked to they advised me against it. NOT saying that's right for anyone else but for me the route i took. Sure i get very tired of the pain but it's better than the alternative!

duge, I'm weighing all my options and I think a SCS will be my last choice since it would involve surgery. Right now I'm going to do the therapy thing and pray + hope they are right in that the way I sit is causing more extra curve at the base of my spine. And maybe the siatic nerve is getting pinched all I know is my lower back and hip hurt so bad it's MADDENING!! But how is it I feel these pains if I have no feeling below my chest...?

Again thank you all for listening

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=145024

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=148366

Here's a couple threads where people were talking about it, hope it helps you!

duge thanks for the links I read them with great interest. I didn't know the procedure had to be placed above ones level of injury. Not the sharpest pencil in the box. Being a c 4/5 that's a little disheartening I will have to ask more in-depth questions next Tuesday during my visit depending on how many questions one can get in on a five or 10 minute office visit.

Again thanks and I hope you're able to find some peace during your days