Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods easy for quads to cook

Foods easy for quads to cook

As I am spending more time home alone I'm really looking to be able to cook myself a small meal. What are some of the easier things that you have found to cook? My kitchen is not that accessible however I can access a small mini fridge and microwave plus the oven. my only worry is with hot foods to make sure I don't burn myself
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

i bought a roast oven off qvc for 69.00 that i bake and cook in its on counter easy for me to use
    . i use my crockpot to cook chicken and all kinds of things

i also cook a lot at one time and freeze . i only use my oven for large batches of cookies and that is always and adventure.

i cut the bottom board out of my sink so i can roll underneath to wash dishes.

i also have a talble set up on bricks to roll underneather with my griddle on to make pancakes

I find my grill easiest to cook on. but i also realize not everyone has one. but when i first started making my own meals again i found my george foreman grill the cure all. very simple to use and clean (wet paper towel while still warm).
    i cooked everything on it boneless chicken breast, burgers , boneless pork chops, sausage, dogs .... hope this helps a bit ....

crockpot. agree the forman grill is very quad friendly. b4 i was married i'd cook my meat on sunday, enough for the week.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

One recommendation I would make is to get a wooden cutting board that fits perfectly on you lap. Not only can you use it for the obvious purpose (use scissors if a knife is not a good idea-also there are special gloves that are cut proof) but it works great when handling hot food. You can put that board on you lap (as long as it covers very well) and put a hot pan on the board.

My biggest suggestion is that you start cooking with someone else available in case... Once you get comfortable, you will love doing it on your own. Find a way to the farmers market a couple of times a week as veggies are easy and healthy. Remember that even most of us AB's cannot accomplish a 30 minute meal so there really is no rush as long as you practice food safety-no chicken on the counter for 3 hours.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Quote Originally Posted by ekephart View Post
    One recommendation I would make is to get a wooden cutting board that fits perfectly on you lap. Not only can you use it for the obvious purpose (use scissors if a knife is not a good idea-also there are special gloves that are cut proof) but it works great when handling hot food. You can put that board on you lap (as long as it covers very well) and put a hot pan on the board.
    Couldn't live without my cutting board!

Be very careful carrying hot liquids on a board on your lap. If they slosh out of the container and run over the board onto your lap, you can still get a bad burn. Try to cover any pans like this, and if possible, set up your kitchen so you can slide hot pans along the counter instead of having to place them on your lap...even on a wooden board.

(KLD)

be carefiul using rice cooker i just burnt the shit outta my 2 middle fingers grabbing the lid not paying attention to the steam hole.......
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Be very careful carrying hot liquids on a board on your lap. If they slosh out of the container and run over the board onto your lap, you can still get a bad burn. Try to cover any pans like this, and if possible, set up your kitchen so you can slide hot pans along the counter instead of having to place them on your lap...even on a wooden board.

(KLD)
    That is why I use a stack of 4 of those disposable styrofoam rectangular shaped dishes on my lap. It is an excellent insulator, has sides to contain splashed liquid, and the serving dividers reinforce it enough to handle all but really heavy stuff. Also they are light weight and when the top one gets dirty it can be tossed and replaced. I use them all the time when I microwave things.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I cook pasta, chicken breasts, steam vegatables, baked potatos. I love these marie callanders pot pies that you pop in the oven. I cook simple food.
    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child