Thread: Incomplete T7 Spinal Cord Injury

Incomplete T7 Spinal Cord Injury

Dear Dr. Wise Young,

My name is Alexandru, from Craiova, Romania. I have been operated in February 2006 for intramedullary cavernoma (you can find below all the details of my medical report). I am contacting you regarding my issue to find out some answers. I have been perfectly healthy until 2006, when that problem appeared and in a week, I completely paralysed, (from T7 below). After surgery I made recovery through kinetotherapy/electrotherapy and after 1 year I started to use adjustable frame. I also want to let you know that I use my right leg very well with good control, but I have little control over my left leg.
    I would like to know your impression about my case and if you have any advice that I can use!

This is the latest MRI report (January 17, 2013).

The thoracic spine MRI with contrast material:
    The MRI of thoracic spine, native and after administration of contrast material i.v., T2 sagittal and axial, T1 sagittal, STIR sagittal and coronal, DWI axial, T1 Fs sagittal, T1 Fs Gd sagittal, coronal and axial, emphasizes:
    - Patient operated at T7 for medullary cavernoma, presents at this level an area with lack of central –medullary material and on the posterior with cicatricle aspect and refined deposits hemosiderin in 1/2 left on a segment 10 mm length and axial dimensions of 7/5 mm. The medullary tracts are partially interrupted, keeping the continuity of the peripheral areas of the spinal. Pathological contrast not find at this level after administration of paramagnetic material.
    The spinal cord, above and subjacent with a normal thickness, no signal changes.
    - The thoracic spinal canal with normal size. Perimedullary fluid spaces with normal volume.
    - Dextroconvex thoracic scoliosis, preserving the physiological curve in sagittal.
    - Vertebral thoracic bodies with normal height, without signal changes.
    - The thoracic intervertebral discs with normal hydration. Minimum posterior protrusion at C4-C5 and T11-T12, without radicular compressive phenomena.
    Conclusions:
    Sequelae medullary injury at spine level T7.

This is the latest medical report of the doctor who operated me:
    Patient of 21 years old, operated in 2006 for expansive process intramedullary-cavernoma (cvasitotal ablation) at level T7; benign lesion.
    He presented in hospital in 2006 with Frankel A. Post operatory local recovered, slow progress toward improving.
    At present:
    - Surgical scar in good condition.
    - The right leg perfectly coordinated motor and sensitivity.
    - The left leg partially coordinated motor with present sensitivity.
    - In conclusion at legs: Frankel C-D.
    - Partial urinary incontinence.
    - Shows no trophic disorders.
    At MRI we present operatory scar at T7, but the dural sac is perfectly shaped.
    Symptoms:
    Paraparesis forte, predominantly left.
    Sphincter disorders.
    Distal sensitivity disorders at limbs.

This is my last MRI and I will be glad if you take a look at these two movies that I have made for you in order to discover that I can stay in balance without help, but I can’t walk without adjustable frames or crutches.

If you have any suggestion for a better recovery, please let me know.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Nicolae Alexandru.
    Last edited by AlexM; 02-04-2013 at 01:50 PM.