Thread: Whey protien safe to take?

Whey protien safe to take?

I used to bodybuild before my accident and took lots of whey protien. Im thinking about getting back into lifting and was going to start taking it again. My only problem is that lots of protien strains the kidneys. Is it even safe to take now that I have SCI? I don't want to speed up kidney failure

The Clean Diet sounds interesting an I am already doing a lot of it..look into it.

They recommend "plant protein" powder with coconut milk and berries shake for breakfast. It is good they say as it doesnt overwork digestion first thing in morning..which works really well for me due to low bp anyway.

I use The Ultimate Meal Shake..which has protiens I need.

Good luck.
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

How much whey do you plan on consuming per day?

Many of us (SCI) add whey protein to our daily diets.

interesting..the clean diet specifically says no whey protien.

I am not sure why..it is a detoxifying diet plan. ..or lifestyle.

http://www.doctoroz.com/media/print/16627
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

I really can't answer the safe question. But I drank whey protein shakes shortly after my injury and stopped because it caused constipation. I would rather poop regularly than take it. Only took it for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by havok View Post
    I used to bodybuild before my accident and took lots of whey protien. Im thinking about getting back into lifting and was going to start taking it again. My only problem is that lots of protien strains the kidneys. Is it even safe to take now that I have SCI? I don't want to speed up kidney failure
    I have had a kidney transplant for almost 15 years and have taken whey protein regularly for 7+ years eating at least 1g/1lb of bodyweight of protein per day over that time. It has had zero impact on the functioning of my kidneys.

Also, I don't know what the 'clean diet' is but if Dr. Oz recommends it I'm sure it is absolute bullshit. Also anyone considering a 'detox' diet should read this:
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpres...etox-delusion/

Quote Originally Posted by cripwalk View Post
    I have had a kidney transplant for almost 15 years and have taken whey protein regularly for 7+ years eating at least 1g/1lb of bodyweight of protein per day over that time. It has had zero impact on the functioning of my kidneys.

Also, I don't know what the 'clean diet' is but if Dr. Oz recommends it I'm sure it is absolute bullshit. Also anyone considering a 'detox' diet should read this:
    http://sciencebasedpharmacy.wordpres...etox-delusion/
    lol It is not that kind of detox..read the manual it is more about putting good bacteria in the gut..any way. I love my Dr, Phil and Dr. Oz! But I can't imagine how screwed up we would all be and broke if we followed ALL their ideas presented

yup as nq said, many of us consume a ton. get good quality stuff. i prefer labrada, bsn or optimum nutrition. it will clog you up so drink tons of water. imo high proteing diet is mucho important for gimps