Thread: Spinal Research (ISRT): Update

Spinal Research (ISRT): Update

The latest news from ISRT:

Looking to the future – an exciting year ahead for Spinal Research

Date: January 29, 2013

The next 12 months is set to be an exciting time for Spinal Research as we take significant steps towards clinical trials with paralysed volunteers.

Over recent years, the bacterial enzyme chondroitinase has shown real promise as a potential treatment for spinal cord injury. A study that we are currently funding at Cambridge University has produced fantastic results that have already exceeded our initial expectations. They have shown that chondroitinase is able to break down the scar tissue that forms at the site of injury, therefore preserving nerve function and enhancing recovery of normal movements.

Read more...

http://www.spinal-research.org/news/...inal-research/

A lot of good news in this story,

"Research into trauma has always been the poor relation to other medical conditions, with public spending in this area being disproportionately low compared to its health-economic impact. There are signs that this has now been recognised by the Department of Health and statutory funders such as the Medical Research Council, and in the coming year we hope to see significant changes to the funding structure surrounding trauma research."
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

great to read this

Show me where to sign up, u can sure test that on me. It sounds really good!

Fly pelican do u think human trials with ch'ase and combination in 2014 or may be still two to three years away?

Any other news regarding lower lumbar injuries research and trials if u have?

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Fly pelican do u think human trials with ch'ase and combination in 2014 or may be still two to three years away?

Any other news regarding lower lumbar injuries research and trials if u have?
    Well, they have to test it on dogs and secure a source of chase for human testing. I would imagine they wouldn't do the latter until the former has borne fruit. Still a few years away I would bet...

Blog Entries
    It does seem pretty positive. I am glad the scientists continue to not give up.