Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: curbs

curbs

OK, so I'm an ultralight novice... 6 mo with my Zra. (I love it!) I've gradually worked on my curb skills at my school, where there's various heights of curbs...I measured today the highest one I can jump, which is 4 1/2 inches.
    I have 2 in dump and 2.75 in COG, and a roughly ten inch high backrest, 85 degree front frame. I love doing curbs but I'm wondering, how high can you jump one? Yknow, before it becomes impossible or insane? the 4 1/2 I'm comfortable on. I've tried and failed ones that I think were higher.

Thanks!

-Voxina
    Tourette's Syndrome - motor tics of the legs, feet and back, which can make it difficult or impossible to walk

I just started jumping curbs, after 2 years post. Have know idea why I waited so long. There is an 7.5 inch curb, well they would call it a concrete step, in the middle of the feed store, and I was so happy that I make it up a curb that high, that I had to do it 3 times. But I still go down backward instead of frontward on two wheels, guess that needs some work. I bet you can get over a standard 6 inch curb with
    a little more practice.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

I remember when I was in rehab at Vanderbilt ('92), they told us that we needed to be able to negotiate a 6 inch curb. Anything more than that is just gravy. Although, I never got very good at going up curbs. I usually found another way. Going down curbs was a different story.

I can drop off a curb of more than a foot. The highest I remember trying was about 18 inches or so. And that was onto grass. I avoid dropping off curbs more than 6 inches, these days. I cracked a camber tube doing that in the old days.

Sometimes will dropped off a 8" curb, but I don't like the shock, my spine feel very uncomfortable, so try to avoid it.

I think not good for the camber tube, axle plate etc.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

There is not much difference dropping off a 6" or 10" curb, the technique is the same but you must be careful if you have a backpack that it could hit the curb and push you forward when landing.

Grommet posted a video towards the bottom of this thread showing off some curb and stair techniques. I found it really helpful.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

I've managed a 7" curb before but generally wont attempt anything more than 6", I was determined to master it and spent a lot of time working up to the bigger ones. Don't overdo it though, every time you fail at going up one it jolts your wrist and after 5+ failed attempts it will start hurting, so don't push yourself too hard. As others have said, going down is a piece of cake, I've gone down a 1ft drop in my old pos chair but havn't done anything that big in my ultralight for fear of damaging it. Toto's been down some huge drops to demo some of his chairs.

Another immensely useful skill is decending stairs backwards while holding onto a railing, very easy and safe as long as you have a good grip. Escalators are equally easy and looks very impressive!
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    I've gone down a 1ft drop in my old pos chair but havn't done anything that big in my ultralight for fear of damaging it.
    I'd be far less concerned about damaging your chair than (further) damaging your back. A 1 foot drop is a lot of sudden compression to the spine, especially for those of us who are higher level paras. I used to drop off high curbs -- thankfully never fell -- but the last time I did it, I felt it. I told myself that my high curb drop days are over (I've been dropping curbs more years than you've been alive). I've got nothing to prove, so I'd rather ask for assistance than injure myself.

We're not built to last forever, and spare parts don't exist (yet), so my advice is that we should get as many miles out of our bodies as we can.

True Stephen, guess we've gotta look after ourselves. I've already had to start being careful with transfers after one of my shoulders started complaining, and i'm strong and young, so not looking forward to getting older.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'd be far less concerned about damaging your chair than (further) damaging your back. A 1 foot drop is a lot of sudden compression to the spine, especially for those of us who are higher level paras.
    Highest so far was a 12" step onto concrete. Had to test out the shock on the ICON. Didn't even feel the landing. Don't think I'd do it without suspension.