Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: curbs

Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    Grommet posted a video towards the bottom of this thread showing off some curb and stair techniques. I found it really helpful.
    Thanks for saying so, I'm glad to hear it. I made those videos because I got so much help from Youtube I wanted to try and do the same for other people but I shot those videos so long ago. I am much better now. I was so scared when I started I overcompensated (popping very high wheelies). GF and I need to shoot new stuff.

One thing that is so important though is that everyone is different. I just can't do what Totol1 can do, wish I could. We all have different disabilities though and that greatly affects what we can do with a chair. On a good day I can do a lot but on a bad one I can't do much at all. Luckliy one thing that keeps getting easier is coming down off curbs. I run in to needing that technique the most. I'm more level now and with softer landings. Funny thing though, getting out of the chair and just lifting it over things was so much more an option a few years ago now it's more often a no-go so I need to keep improving on getting over and up things in the chair.

On the anit-tip thing, this argument keeps going around. I keep thinking that whatever works for you is fine and is the way you should go. It's not like any of this is easy, so whatever we can do to make it work is a good thing.

When I go off really high curbs I try to land on all 4 wheels to spread the shock. Landing on just the backs puts a lot of pressure on your wheels and can stretch your spokes which then makes your wheel loose. I also run 24x1.75" knobbies on my chair, so that helps with the shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Boy View Post
    When I go off really high curbs I try to land on all 4 wheels to spread the shock. Landing on just the backs puts a lot of pressure on your wheels and can stretch your spokes which then makes your wheel loose. I also run 24x1.75" knobbies on my chair, so that helps with the shock.
    I vary my technique. Sometimes landing flat on all four wheels sends a shock up my spine, it's painful. But as I get better I am noticing that I am coming down softer and softer. It's kind of evolving on it's own. Btw I tried knobbies, they gave me less traction on curb edges, I couldn't reach the pushrims with my fingers and the tires weighed a ton. A friend rides exclusively on knobbies about half-inflated. He says they take all the shock that way. I asked about how hard they are to push underinflated and he said he is used to it. Goes back to whatever works for you is the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    You can't really do it with anti-tips,
    My posts were only aimed at the OP and Lin
    I'm physically unable to go without anti tippers as well, they will never be removed from my chair.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Crap, sorry Lin, my bad.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Crap, sorry Lin, my bad.
    like i said suprsi, i wasnt directing my comments at you alone, rather at the bizarrely prevailing opinion particularly (but not solely) amongst people with sci, that anti-tippers are just training wheels for people who are new and uncool, and they have to learn how to get rid of them as quickly as possible so as to do curbs and look 'normal' instead of 'gimpish'. so i do feel it is important to say to the 48 guests currently visiting this forum, 'that is complete bollocks.'

Not all of us are living in towns and countries with curb cuts and when we go out we need to know how to jump curbs up and down. I would hate to sit inside because of the lack of practise.

But the Americans are terrible spoiled with the accessibility and I don't think you really understand how it is in Europe. I don't say it is a bad thing, I wish all countries could have been like that, but unfortunately it is not.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Ahhh, need to take some time to chill. Don't want to escalate this.
    Last edited by SuprSi; 01-31-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: I let myself get provoked too easy..

i live in ireland, and the accessibility situation here is not any better than norway - quite possibly worse. i go up and down curbs every day, and i never, ever remove my anti-tippers, even for a minute. if i did id be stuck in bed all day, and considering that i destabilise my chair about 50% of the time when transferring back into it from bed, i wouldnt last very long without them. it might be nice (or maybe just different) if i were able to manage without my anti-tippers, but im not, so i manage with them.

Good for you. amyk, nobody cares if you can or can't.. voxina can and this is her thread. And I was replying to help her.