Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: about to take the plunge for my first chair. :)

Smile about to take the plunge for my first chair. :)

Hey all!

I asked about seating clinics last time and you guys we're so helpful. I'm really grateful for this forum... I lurk here almost every day! You all have taken all the nervousness and self consciousness of getting wheels out of my mind and now I am so glad I can go outside my home and feel like a normal human being. Thank you so much!

I'm taking the plunge for my chair. Everything has been measured and ready and just waiting on the pre-auth from insurance. Here are my specs thus far... sorry that I am copying from my order form as they aren't sent in to Tilite yet.

Tilite TR3
    Seat width: 18''
    Seat depth: 18''
    Front seat height: 18''
    Rear sear height: 16.5''
    Footrests: 15.5'' Angle adjustable
    Folding titanium seat back with round rigidizer bar and locks when folded
    Titanium back release bar
    Integrated fold-down push handles
    Seat back height: tall, 18.5-21'', set at 18.5 (Is this too tall??)
    89° seat back angle
    Center of gravity: 2.5''
    Rear seat width on standard front end: 18''
    Footrest width: 14''
    Rear wheel spacing: .75''
    Camber: 4°
    Front angle: 85°
    Colors: Acid green metallic with ultraviolet anondize package
    Front wheels: 5x1.5'' LiteSpeed Billet with soft roll (black)
    Front forks: slipstream single sided forks
    Rear wheels: 24'' Spinergy SPOX in black with schwalbe marathons
    Axles: stainless quick release
    Q-grip long tab handrims
    Pull to lock breaks with extension handles (there's a story behind this choice, I broke my thumb and tore my thumb ligament when the push to lock breaks buggered up my hands as I was demoing the ZRa last fall... no push to locks ever again, thanks!)
    Back upholstery: AIR breathable Velcro adjustable
    Seat upholstery: tension adjustable bolt on
    Seat cushion: Comfort Company M2 3''
    Riding removable aluminum side guards
    Swing away tubular 9 - 12'' armrests
    Extra large calf strap

The COG is set too low (high?) at 2.5'' to get the fancy rear round frame, but then again, my rear is already pretty round!

I demoed a ZRa and had that one dialed in until the demo time was up and it was great! Now I'm in a huge and heavy Breezy Ultra from the DME until I can get my final chair. I am so excited, guys. I can't wait to actually feel normal and leave the house without being scared.

Does everything look pretty normal and comfy? I hope the 2.5 dump is enough to feel like I'm in the chair rather than on it. Lastly, is the COG set ok? I can't figure out if the higher the number, say 3.25'' COG means its more chance to fall backwards or forwards. I think I just don't understand COG at all, to be honest.

Anyway, thanks guys!

I think it's a very bad idea to go for a TR3 as a first chair. You're very likely to be disappointed and you will not be able to adjust enough things to make the chair useful to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    I think it's a very bad idea to go for a TR3 as a first chair. You're very likely to be disappointed and you will not be able to adjust enough things to make the chair useful to you.
    x2. I've been in my first chair, an AeroZ, for 2.5 years now. The adjustability has allowed me to try different caster sizes, different rear-wheel sizes, different RSH's, and even severalprototype plywood ergo seats. I'm amazed at how much difference a half inch can make, and how long it can take to really tune in a chair. (I just switched to 25" (559) wheels last week, and the casters fluttered easily at their 24" angle. I tweaked them to vertical, and no more flutter.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by Prak View Post
    Pull to lock breaks with extension handles (there's a story behind this choice, I broke my thumb and tore my thumb ligament when the push to lock breaks buggered up my hands as I was demoing the ZRa last fall... no push to locks ever again, thanks!)
    Why not get the composite scissor locks? They're much nicer.

and the higher the number the further forward the COG is, the further forward the more tippy to the rear/lighter front end.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

I'm with Lin on the Scissor locks. They fold right out of the way so you can't catch your thumb while pushing. I think a more adjustable chair would be a good idea. I went with a Kuschall K4 which has plenty of adjustment and I don't think there are many things I havn't changed.

The color scheme sounds good, be sure to post pics whatever you decide on
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

I agree with the tribe of wise elders. Think of your first chair as you laboratory where you can tinker and experiment on your way to nailing the formula that works best for you. You will be deprived of that discovery if you roll the dice and go for non-adjustable chair and then your SOL until more insurance funds become available, if they become available.

The ZRA is a very fine chair. You will thank all of us for talking you into it.

First of all, congratualations of getting a new chair. I'm excited for you, and hope it brings you more freedom and feeling more secure.

How long did you demo the ZRA and how many modifications were you able to make? The reason I ask is that we have been busy for 6 months making modifications to a second hand adjustable 2GX chair that we got to learn from and will later use as a secondary chair.

From what we have experienced after 3 years in a depot chair, is that it takes time to get used to every change and then time to evaluate if a new change was good or bad. For example, we are in the same situation with not really understanding COG very well. We have changed the rear seat height, front seat height and the COG a few times, and each change affects the others. We have also changed caster and fork size. Granted, our situation was a bit extreme because the chair was way too low, but still, I'm glad we could make a lot of adjustments and tweaks (and it's still not 100%).

Maybe it is just me, but I would be afraid of a chair that I could not at least adjust for COG and rear seat height if it was not right. I don't know the TR3 enough to know exactly what you can adjust, but you may want to keep that in mind. I think that may be why more seasoned people are cautioning you towards a more adjustable chair for your first chair.

About the Seat back height, it's going to be hard for others to say not knowing your body measurements and situation. I know my 6 ft. 1-2" husband's seat surface to scapula height is about 17.5" and with a 3.5" cushion we are going with the Medium 14.5”- 19” set at 17". We are going that high so the push handles are high enough for me as an assistant, but would probably go even lower if I did not have back problems. Again, this may be why others are cautioning about a TR3.

I demoed a ZRa and had that one dialed in until the demo time was up and it was great! Now I'm in a huge and heavy Breezy Ultra from the DME until I can get my final chair. I am so excited, guys. I can't wait to actually feel normal and leave the house without being scared.

Does everything look pretty normal and comfy? I hope the 2.5 dump is enough to feel like I'm in the chair rather than on it. Lastly, is the COG set ok? I can't figure out if the higher the number, say 3.25'' COG means its more chance to fall backwards or forwards. I think I just don't understand COG at all, to be honest.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Another quick note....

I am sure after reading all of these cautions about going with a non-adjustable chair you might feel a bit frustrated. I know I felt that way after I thought I had everything just right, and then experienced people let me know the pitfalls. We only just put in our order last week, and although some of the set backs after getting input here was sometimes very tough "back to the drawing board" moments, I do think that all of the input was very helpful. People here have been great, but you may need to provide more information about your situation for them to be able to really help. Also, definitely get a CAD drawing that you, not the DME sign-off on.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

We have the extension handles with push-to-lock brakes. They are not comfortable -- very flat, and one of them has already cracked after 6 months. I don't know if the TR3 is the same, but on the 2GX it is a sort of vinyl covering. Here is photo before the crack:
    (click for bigger photo)
    We are very happy to be getting the Out-Front brake handles that are rounded and more ergonomic.

I first came on this forum looking for advice about a new chair. Over time, with much input and suggestions from the experts here, I changed my mind about a ZRA and went with an Icon. It's worth taking a look at, and is certainly the most adjustable chair on the market today.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.