Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 23 Steps (not stairs)

I started with across the room. Then moved to the driveway. I would walk up and down the driveway while my wife pushed the chair behind me and try to complete more laps to inspire myself but you are right that technique may be even more important in the long run.

All done nobody around except my dog. Falling inside gives me tons of practice getting up. That is not a joke. 1 other interesting thing I found is, I may sort of learn something in a slow-motion technique, but actual execution must be performed fast to be sucessful. I have never tried outside. Have you performed on any angle - incline or decline? I am thinking of putting books on my floor. That would allow ne to gradually get legs to stepping an elevation of a step by adding thicker books. Plus with small itmes like this I could work on 1 leg at a time.

rlm- I would walk up and down my ramp but I generally stuck to flat ground. I was very lucky to have my wife here to help me. Having the chair behind me allowed me to push a little farther everyday.

You have literally take it one step at a time and your strength will build. I am using crutches now and still seem tired fast. Just have to push through it.

MF - how is it you get stuck flat but able to execute incline/decline? It took me forever to fist determine I had WAY TOO much upper body weight leaning into walker. Then it took me another forever to figure I had upper body weight INCORRECT side for leg trying to step forward. I.e. upper body weight on left side means brains better be telling right leg to step forward. NO, I had weight and brain on same side. I think then all brain should be saying is jump with that leg. Another thing I am finding is, may attempt to learn something slowly executing. But speed is a critical factor as well in order for successful execution.

MF, have you used a walker? Are you able to maintain balance with crutches? How many steps are you doing? Can you stand at a bathroom/kitchen counter with only support of 1 hand and do hings there? This stuff I am doing is 10+ years after accident. My freaking doctors told me I could not do any of this or did not know. I was in hospital 5+ years.

I use crutches full time. I actually did not like the walker and rarely used it for anything other than exercise. I concentrated on building strength rather than walking at that time. It was a hard choice but I only had so much energy and I thought it would be better spent doing leg presses and riding a bike in order to build my strength. Functionally I would use the walker if it was the only option, otherwise I was using my wheelchair.

I basically went from the chair to the crutches and once I tried them I was ready and had been working my balance like crazy in my work outs. I still do. Balance and coordination are the biggest challenges of all.

My advice is to save enough energy for good resistance work outs even if you have to lay off the walking some. Squats, bridges, leg curls, and stuff like that. Strength is so important.

MF..I am puttiing this toghether 10+ YEARS after accident. Al;l you say here I totally agree. The coordination and balance very interesting. I talked some with Wise regarding your eyes input to brain. I felt I was able to relearn things, along with speed and oordination, if I took eyes out of the picture. Do the stuff with eyes closed and gradually introduce eyesisght. I was in H2O therapy about 1 year ago. The lady was asking why do I look up at the ceiling when walking at parallel bars in the water. I think it was becasue the ceiling was providing a very "static" visual input to my brain and I was able to work on the legs in the water. This lady did TONS COUNTLESS to once again get me going in a positive direction at home. I am now working putting more and more strength into legs. Your feet do unbelievable things.

Keep up the fight!

I am turning this into multi/day and many various standing exercises. Am learning standing with support with only 1 hand/arm. The 1 hand standing, I am swithing hands/arms.

There you go, forget about that 2 year deal too, at 2 I was still in a walker, even I didn't think I could pull it off. The longer I stood, the less I held on, the straighter I stood, and than one foot in front of the other, 3-4 were the best to come. Even now I'm still going ahead 9 years later. Don't get me wrong I do dumb things, put myself in jeapordy, and inevitably crash, still, but less and less. Don't turn out the lights, all my balance is in my eyes, and there not perfect either, the blow to the head originally messed up optic nerves too, I'm just one big F%#}ed up party.