Thread: snow skiing

snow skiing

any T-6 completes that can monoski on snow. ive been twice and it is cutting my butt.

I'm T-7 complete, and have skied for years. It just takes lots of work to learn. But if you keep after it it's worth it! It's a steep learning curve but the pay-off is great!

thanks. i think i just need alot more seat time and being in s.c. thats not so easy. only get to go one week a year so far but hope to get to col. one day soon. i have been to the adaptive clinic at beech mt. n.c. for the last 2 years. the instructors are all from col. and they are really good. just need a little patience i guess.

It sounds like you are in good hands. Make sure that the monoski bucket they have you in fits well. It should be tight, like a ski boot. You may need a higher back because of your level of injury. I have a long trunk, so I like a high back to help me balance. There are some great camps here in Colorado if you can make it to one you will really learn a lot. They're having one in Telluride next week. Check it out here:

Telluirdeadaptivesports.org

Quote Originally Posted by dewitt1012 View Post
    thanks. i think i just need alot more seat time and being in s.c. thats not so easy. only get to go one week a year so far but hope to get to col. one day soon. i have been to the adaptive clinic at beech mt. n.c. for the last 2 years. the instructors are all from col. and they are really good. just need a little patience i guess.
    they have 1 in beech mt tell me more please

yea its every jan. the week of MLK holiday. tuesday thur friday. its been going for 32 years now. alot of instructors from col. come and give lessons free of charge. it is a great experience. all you pay for is your room. they feed you too at night. im not to good on computer but ill get some info for you.

google adaptive sports and adventures program in charlotte, nc. then click on snow skiing, they are one of the sponsors. look them up on facebook and they have alot of pictures from this year.

It takes a while to learn how to monoski-especially with a higher injury. You definitely need to allow yourself more time- particularly if you only get to ski
    one or two times a season. Be patient with yourself....if you can
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

vjls, on facebook its carolinas rehabilitation for this years pictures.

Coloradoboy - great advice on bucket back height and bucket fit. Patience and fitness are both important, but equipment is make-or-break. What did they do for strapping? I've had buddies use a super-wide elastic strap (12 inches wide +/-) around the back of the seat bucket and their torso. This allowed them to lean forward to initiate turns, and then the strap pulled them back into more of an upright stance for the next turn. This compensated for weak core/back muscles due to their higher level of injury. One guy who does this is a T4, and another is an inc C6.