Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair bike attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    KLD, I have to ask, is that a serious suggestion...because the article below the picture certainly isn't (I hope!)? And if you google the device, that's the only link that comes up! The other thing that looks a bit suss to an Australian is the person in the photo, who looks remarkably like one of our recent Prime Ministers!
    Gordy, I didn't click on the link until I read your reply. My god, it's John Howard!

I read another post that said it was Dick Cheney!

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    Gordy, I didn't click on the link until I read your reply. My god, it's John Howard!
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Transfers are really difficult for a recumbent/trike. I'm looking for an attachment, not a completely separate piece of equipment. If it went well with something not too expensive, maybe we would then go for something more.
    Have you looked at hase bikes? The kettweisel and Lepus models both have a seat height of about 18-20"' and have a handcycle add on plus optional power assist. And it's a German company, plenty in holland. Drive + disk braking to both rear wheels... I know it's separate, but possibly as a later option.

Unfortunately, all of the pedal bike attachments I can find are way out of our budget, as well as the pedal trikes like Hase. We really don't want a complete separate piece of equipment and want something that is attachable to the wheelchair.

This started because I've been looking into possibilities for a third wheel all-terrain option like a FreeWheel or others as mentioned in this post #36. Unfortunately, it does not look like we will be able to easily connect the Freewheel because of a DU modification for flip-up footrests, so I decided to see what else might be possible. My husband was an avid bicyclist, and I thought it might be fun for him to have something he could pedal sometimes too.

I was hoping that something simple was available, like an attachable third wheel with a pedal crank, and possibly a freewheel hub, cantilever brake and handle bars. The idea was that it would also work as the FreeWheel does on rough terrain, with the added ability to pedal for excercise. Since we really don't know how much pedalling will be possible, I wanted to see if there was anything relatively cheap out there to try.

Although the link that KLD gave was not for real with the text, the photo was real, and there is a foot pedaled attachable bike called the Speedy Pedalofit by Reha-Technik. It's expensive, and I don't think will fit with the DU modification that we are getting because the size of the center adapter.

There is also another attachable bike that is only foot pedaled, the BerkelBike EasyLegs Connect (only in Dutch), but it also has a auxiliary motor, which we do not want and is expensive. Although this picture does not show it with the pedals, it gives an idea.

There is also a hybrid, the BirkelBike Connect (formerly Classic) that I mentioned in a previous post. It has hand and foot pedals, but is also very expensive, and I'm not sure the hand pedals would be possible.

Maybe someday I can look into Gordy's idea of modifying a unicycle or possibly a cheap adult trike, big wheel, drift trike, etc., which are way cheaper at about $500. Here are some examples:

Last edited by elarson; 01-29-2013 at 02:58 PM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I'm starting to wonder if we could not take something like this Pro Activ Freeway and add a pedal crank and freewheel hub (under $1000). Any input on the possibilities of doing this? They have good adapter mounting options and it seems pretty solid to me.

The problem is the length of the attachment, in order to use simples pedals like on a monocycle you would need the wheel to be very close to the frame and the freeway is designed so that the wheel is not so close in order to lift up and to have the steering bar closer. This is why on the expensive models you got the pedals not on the wheel axle but higher and closer to the chair.

Also don't underestimate the effort required to pedal on all terrain, there is not enough weight on the front wheel to get good propulsion and user cannot easily add more weight like you do on a bike or a tricycle where you sit higher. You would definitely need gears, maybe some monocycles have some in hub.

Thanks for tossing this around with me Big. Clearly I had not really thought this all through very well. I also asked my brother who is a bicycle component engineer, and he pretty much said similar and called it a "Frankenstein machine"

I totally see what you are talking about with the length to the pedals. About the effort required to pedal on all terrain, we are not really looking for heavy propulsion. We are looking for something that can be pedaled around for short distances like on brick walkways in our yard, but also something that could also be used for handling rough terrain in a non-pedal mode, with the ZX1 power add-on. We had planned to use the FreeWheel with the ZX1 power add-on, but there are problems with attaching it because we are getting a DU for flip-up footrests.

You can get gears in unicycle hubs from Schlumpf. Here is a pretty cool video: Insane High Speed Unicycling.

I know I am probably trying to do way to many things with a limited amount of equipment, but I was just hoping there might be a way. I am going to keep thinking about it though, because my husband would love to pedal a bit and we need some kind of a third wheel anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Big View Post
    The problem is the length of the attachment, in order to use simples pedals like on a monocycle you would need the wheel to be very close to the frame and the freeway is designed so that the wheel is not so close in order to lift up and to have the steering bar closer. This is why on the expensive models you got the pedals not on the wheel axle but higher and closer to the chair.

Also don't underestimate the effort required to pedal on all terrain, there is not enough weight on the front wheel to get good propulsion and user cannot easily add more weight like you do on a bike or a tricycle where you sit higher. You would definitely need gears, maybe some monocycles have some in hub.

IsMaisin -- Thanks for the link for mounting hardware in the thread Rear View Mirrors for Power Wheelchair. I did not post in that thread because the reason I am looking is about this topic.

I'm looking for very strong mounting hardware for attaching a FreeWheel or other third wheel (possibly home made) to the front frame of a wheelchair. If you know of any other good links for mounting / clamp hardware, it would be much appreciated.

"No mother on either side could say that whatever was won was worth my son"--Steve Mason