Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .Permobil C500 w/ESP

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I have a very good OT in my corner so not as scared as I should be. If I was Permobil I'd be worried because theres been most a thousand hits on this thread so people are thinking. Starting to have trouble with butt presure because of poor positioning in old chair. Really need to switch back soon. Do have swing back joystick.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Received very good news yesterday that my wheelchair is to be replaced, It's official. Doubt it could have happened this quickly without the tremendous help of the Cleveland VA OT and CureCare. Can't argue with over 1,000 hits looking for the facts. There is no doubt that folks are making very importand decisions based upon what happens here, on both sides. Thanks Dr. Wise, Permobil and everyone who took the time to read the thread.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-26-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Thumbs up

Congrats! great news.

Hopefully have some new wheels to get out in the Spring and Summer weather coming .

That's very encouraging! :-)

The VA sent a contractor to fix the cable warning error. Changed cables but was actualy the joystick that failed and stopped chair dead. Used joystick in truck so happpy I can use it until a replacement comes even if I can't go around the block.

Charge powerchair for 24 hours, get in and drive 10 feet, chair flashes one red bar and begins to shut down because of power loss. Great, now chair will not charge. Total electrical failure. Mechanic returning with replacement joystick will attempt to find out charging failure.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

What a mess. I feel for you, Ranger.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I got a bad battery charger with my new chair from Permobil a couple of months ago. Permobil replaced it. Could that be part of your problem? Or maybe the battery itself is faulty?

I'm sure you have checked this, but in case not, there have been many reports of DMEs replacing the standard MK group 24s with knock-off brands prone to failure. (I assume this has been checked already though and is likely not the problem, but I thought I would throw that out there).
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 04-06-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks, fortunately they are the real things. Mechanic here Friday and replaced faulty Joystick and first cable with new. Examined batteries, changed charger and placed C500 on charge. 17 hours later removed charger and scale said fully charged, 2 hours later, power failure.

I really want to use this chair as it's very comfortable and protects the skin on my butt because I can change so many positions. My X-5 is starting skin problems on butt because my feet are on too narrow of a footplate.

Can not wait until replacement is delivered. 13 days and counting since decision.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Hi Forestranger my name is Joe, I'm new to this site and I been waiting to get my new Permobil C500 VS. for 3 months.

I came across your page from googleing the C500 and I hope you get this resolved!! Like you I live in rough country, I'm about 1 hour north of MPLS. Minnesota.. My OT & Doctor recommended the chair and said it would handle the terrain where I live.. keeping fingers crossed..

Good luck with your chair, talk with you soon.

Joe