Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .Permobil C500 w/ESP

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Replacement C500 was brought to my home yesterday by the local Permobil rep. I really appreciate Permobil handling this problem so quickly. Without SCI_OTR's, the VA's and your help on this forum , it would have certainly taken much longer.

Looking forward to receiving the mud/snow tires when they are sent to the rep. Will give them a tryout and see how much traction they provide. Hoping I'm good for the next 5 years.

Funnny that the Omegatrac, which I paid to be repaired (refuse to let a great chair die), was delivered the same day as the Permobil. Now I have 3 powerchairs to use as the conditions require. Can't wait to fill up the air suspension of the Omegatrac and bust down these dang goat paths. Summer is on.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-19-2013 at 07:18 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

So happy to hear this forestranger52. It's raining workable powerchairs over by you. Hope you have a fun summer
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Congratulations on the new ride! Yesterday I had my second session in my Permobil getting it tweaked for possession. Happy days!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    Congratulations on the new ride! Yesterday I had my second session in my Permobil getting it tweaked for possession. Happy days!
    Clear the road! Van Quad coming soon.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Crazy thing happened to me today when I was on the road. I was having a difficult time seeing the control panel in the sun, so while switching functions I accidently hit the elevator for just a second and did not know it.

I finished setting the tilt correctly and started to drive but the chair would only go about 2 1/2 miles an hour. After changing and trying eveything including shutting the chair off, it would still not go. I noticed the turtle was stuck on and this limited my speed.

Luckly by accident I must have hit the elevator down and that killed the turtle so I could go fast again. I always knew about the tilted chair stopping the ability to drive but never used the elevator before.

If you can not drive fast look for the turtle and if it's there, make damn sure you check the elevator.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Crazy thing happened to me today when I was on the road. I was having a difficult time seeing the control panel in the sun, so while switching functions I accidently hit the elevator for just a second and did not know it.

I finished setting the tilt correctly and started to drive but the chair would only go about 2 1/2 miles an hour. After changing and trying eveything including shutting the chair off, it would still not go. I noticed the turtle was stuck on and this limited my speed.

Luckly by accident I must have hit the elevator down and that killed the turtle so I could go fast again. I always knew about the tilted chair stopping the ability to drive but never used the elevator before.

If you can not drive fast look for the turtle and if it's there, make damn sure you check the elevator.
    Who taught you how to operate that thing?

Turtle drive also happens when the foot pedals are too close to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Who taught you how to operate that thing?
    Just another one of those darn rookies. After 10 years I can still manage to screw things up pretty bad.

One thing for sure, this chair is very fast and always travels straight.

Did notice that driving fast uses much more power to go the same distance than traveling at an average powerchair speed. I could drive over to the ranch and back at least twice in my X-5 with power left over and only one time in the Permobil at 6+ mph. About 5 miles total but I must gain then lose around 130 feet each way and that requires some power. Specialy when the chair and I weigh around 600 lbs.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-22-2013 at 08:14 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

That is a load to haul. But chairs are not designed to be aerodynamic so I can see how your high speed driving is a problem lol I believe my Permobil uses the the most current stopping and starting around the house.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

At 350 lbs, the Permobil is a bit heavier than a lot of powerchairs. One thing for sure, 600 lbs causes a lot of wheelchair lifts to do a bit of groaning while picking me up. I refuse to use the lifts with only one arm as they are 600 lb max and if something fails, LOOK OUT. Even the heavy duty ones max at 700 or 750 lbs.

The mighty OmegaTrac and I almost tipped over a couple side entry, full size vans wth lifts. Thought for sure I was hitting the ground a few times. Some leaned over so much that I started to slide off. If I could, I would have shit myself.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 06-23-2013 at 06:18 PM. Reason: he
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt