Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: .Permobil C500 w/ESP

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Not sure about Permobil but from years now of reading this forum, new company does well building a quality chair. Sales improve substancially, bought out, get's cocky or just plain greedy and begins manufacturing wheelchair with cheaper, inferior parts. Quality chair no longer.

The absolutely fantastic Teftec Omegatrac, built and designed by aircraft engineers bought out by Next Mobility who proceded to lose a very good, power assist, manual wheelchair. Customer service and manufacturing questions until purchased by Miller Technical Services, a company who never saw a power or any wheelchair before.

A couple years of attempted contact and unanswered questions from both these companies robbed me of my confidence in the wheelchair that gave me life. Now because of tradeoffs, I sit here in my old chair because of failures, afraid to leave the false security of my home, not knowing if my expensive new wheelchair will ever take me up my driveway safely or out into the real world I used to love and explore.

Say it ain't so, Joe.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 03-05-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Now because of tradeoffs, I sit here in my old chair because of failures, afraid to leave the false security of my home, not knowing if my expensive new wheelchair will ever take me up my driveway safely or out into the real world I used to love and explore.
    Yup, I know the feeling. I just hope your Permobil rep is easier to get a hold of than mine. I usually have to call him 2-3 times before I get a response. Ridiculous.

Being that the company actually sold the chair to the VA, it seems to me that the VA should be dealing directly with the company on your behalf. That's the way I look at it, and the approach I would take. Call the VA. Being left in a dangerous situation is unacceptable.

Good luck, all the best.
    Last edited by quadvet; 03-07-2013 at 09:37 PM.

it is my understanding that the FDA requires manufacturers of medical devices to keep a complaints log and to record measures used to correct problems.

Wouldn't it be great if it were possible to access that information? Since most of the consumers of medical devices are not the people that pay for them, there is a real lack of feedback on customer satisfaction. I don't think the OT's really understand the maintenance issues of these shoddily built power chairs. Both the medical industry as well as the chair manufacturers have a vested interest in cranking new chairs out every three to five years.

A few folks should have, hopefully, been talking this week. Damn shame I can't even cross my fingers.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

forestranger, any word on fixing or replacing your Permobil yet? Please keep us posted. Thanks!

Almost 3 weeks since the chair went dead, I know almost nothing. I do know that my local Permobil rep wants nothing to do with repairing this lemon after multible trips to my home fixing one thing after another. I believe that the cable from the controller is the bad one as it is gets the most abuse and wish that they would at least send me one to put in. Who knows but is extremely conserning.

This is begining to affect my health as I am forced to use a old wheelchair that was not ordered correctly in the first place. Just by leaning forward and giving this Frontier X-5 a little jerk, I can throw it off it's wheels and it scares the shit out of me. We moved the seat assembly as far back as possible but stopping can be deadly serious.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

Exclamation

i am very sad for you. We had a Permobil out of Sweden, and it was good. You should not have to go through this. Wishing you all the best.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

forestranger,
    I feel your pain! Is the Permobil rep going to call it a Lemon and replace it? Sure hope they don't jerk you around for over 2 years like my DME provider & Permobil did with me.

I've been told by a Permobil tech that using the retractable joystick is a big cause of the breaks in these wimpy joystick cables. Do you have the retractable one or the swing away? I have the swing away, so I think it's a little less of a problem with that one, although it still sucks that they cheaped out on the quality of the cables.

My DME tech said the current cable technology is a "dual system" which means if one wire breaks in the cable, there's a 2nd backup wire in there that should keep it working. But you'd still get the bad cable error. Although that doesn't sound like the problem in your case if your chair is completely dead.

Wishing the best for you and hope you can stay safe with your current crappy chair.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52 View Post
    Almost 3 weeks since the chair went dead, I know almost nothing. I do know that my local Permobil rep wants nothing to do with repairing this lemon after multible trips to my home fixing one thing after another. I believe that the cable from the controller is the bad one as it is gets the most abuse and wish that they would at least send me one to put in. Who knows but is extremely conserning.

This is begining to affect my health as I am forced to use a old wheelchair that was not ordered correctly in the first place. Just by leaning forward and giving this Frontier X-5 a little jerk, I can throw it off it's wheels and it scares the shit out of me. We moved the seat assembly as far back as possible but stopping can be deadly serious.
    holy crap man, if the VA supplied this chair to me, and wouldn't get the company to fix it, I'd be writing my Congressman.

I bet fellow CareCure member and PVA representative POPO367 (Enrique) would know what to do in this situation. Shoot him a PM.