Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Organizations that provide equipment or services for Vets

  1. #1
    Senior Member IsMaisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside Fort Bragg, NC USA
    Posts
    546

    Organizations that provide equipment or services for Vets

    I'm going to list some of the organizations that I know of. Please add to this list any that you may know of.

    All information is copied from the websites. I have either personally worked with all of these organizations or had a close friend work with them. I can recommend all of them.

    Canines for Veterans
    Canines for Veterans is a national program that provides Veterans with disabilities quality trained service dogs. The program works with military prisoners at the Naval Consolidated Brig Charleston and teaches them how to train rescue dogs as service dogs for the wounded and injured Veteran. Know as the “triple win” the Canines for Veterans program has twice been awarded a Newman’s Own Award for program innovations supporting our military and their families, is approved by the US Department of Labor as an apprenticeship program and was recently named a Joining Forces Community Challenge finalist.


    Train A Dog - Save A Warrior
    A rescue dog from a shelter or the warrior’s own personal dog, if deemed appropriate in temperament, demeanor, and size, will be evaluated, enter BOOT CAMP, and be trained specific commands for specific needs of a wounded warrior with PTSD.

    This extensive and costly training is at no charge to the warrior and his dog, with training lasting 3-4 months at the least. Once training is completed and the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizenship classification is awarded to the team, and after intensive training to meet the specific needs of the specific warrior, the dog will be eligible for service dog designation, according to the American Disabilities Act.

    The team will carry the necessary health certificates and documentation and will be able to accompany the warrior to stores, restaurants, living accommodations, and permitting full access to any and all places the warrior wishes to visit.

    TADSAW will also work with your dog if s/he passes a free temperament test at your home by a TADSW trainer.


    The Independence Fund
    The Indy Fund was originally started in 2007 by because of the observations of its founder that neither the Department of Defense nor the Veteran's Administration were sufficiently providing some of the most severely mobility challenged veterans (spinal cord injured, triple and quadruple amputees) with the state of the art wheelchairs that they deserve. Since then the Independence Fund has provided more than $700,000.00 in mobility devices to deserving veterans of the War on Terror.

    They have provided adaptive sports equipment such as hand cycles and recumbent tricycles to several of my friends.

    They also provide a caregiver retreat.
    Located in the heart of the South Carolina Lowcountry, the award winning Palm Key Resort will host the inaugural Independence Retreat for the most overlooked heroes of the War on Terror, the caregivers of the severely injured. The natural beauty and calming qualities of the location offer an ideal setting for providing increased wellness in our severely injured veterans and their caregivers.


    World T.E.A.M. Sports
    For more than 20 years, we have used athletics to challenge disabled men, women and children to accomplish goals they never thought possible. In all our events – whether mountain climbing, biking, white water rafting or many other sports – we include both disabled and able-bodied participants.

    Four things always happen at our events:

    • Disabled participants build self confidence and physical fitness.

    • The disabled provide a role model for other disabled citizens, encouraging them to take up physical activities.

    • The disabled become a moving inspiration to other participants and to spectators when they see that disabled individuals can meet challenges beyond anyone’s imagination.

    • The disabled and able-bodied participants learn to work as a team to overcome those challenges.

    We change lives through sports


    Wounded Warrior Project
    The Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) Transition Training Academy™ (TTA) provides innovative information technology (IT) training for service members injured on active duty who face unique challenges as they transition to civilian life or seek to change their military specialty. All TTA courses and class materials are provided free of charge to warriors and the spouses or caregivers.

    Soldier Ride is a unique four-day cycling opportunity for Wounded Warriors to use cycling and the bonds of service to overcome physical, mental, or emotional wounds. The rides are exhilarating and a great way to help warriors gain confidence and realize you can do this!

    Project Odyssey. Through outdoor, recreational activities, you will discover inner strength and find the courage to continue your journey to recovery. The experiences gained from Project Odyssey help you work through challenges related to combat stress and improve mental attitudes and outlook. Activities include horseback riding, canoeing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, a high ropes course, fishing, skeet shooting, sled hockey, and skiing at retreats held in various locations across the country. You are encouraged to build new skills, connect with peers, and find support for combat stress among Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) staff and trained counselors.

    Adaptive Sports. Through our partnership with high quality, specialized disabled sports providers, we are able to deliver dynamic and engaging year-round sports and fitness programs to help injured service members gain confidence and independence, while adapting to life after injury. With adaptive equipment and trained instructors, warriors can participate in almost any sport or fitness activity, moving them beyond rehabilitation and toward a full and productive life. These programs are designed to encompass all areas of fitness and exercise including nutrition and physical training to build a healthy and fit lifestyle.


    Project Sanctuary
    Project Sanctuary provides therapeutic retreats enabling military families to reconnect and reintegrate into their communities through education, innovative services and supportive follow through. Of the hundreds of families served through our program so far, 90% are still married; all servicemen and women who want to work have a job, and we happily report NO SUICIDES. Our program works.

    All services are provided absolutely free of charge to service personnel and their families. Assistance with travel expenses may be available for families who qualify.

    Project Sanctuary retreats are open to all branches, active duty or veteran families who believe that they would benefit from a theraputic retreat.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

  2. #2
    Challenged Athletes Fund has a special program (can't remember the name) for military veterans.

  3. #3
    Well of course, there is also the Department of Veterans Affairs which provides acute and sustaining health care, vocational rehabilitation, rehabilitation services, DME, etc. as well as their sports programs:
    National Veterans Wheelchair Games
    Winter Sports Clinic
    Summer Sports Clinic
    Valor Games (jointly with the DoD)
    Golden Age Games (which sadly are being discontinued soon)
    Also, don't forget the PVA, which provide many services for members, and membership is free.

    Also Safe Harbor, which provides many of the same services as Wounded Warriors, but for Navy and Coast Guard disabled active duty and Veterans.

    (KLD)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin83 View Post
    Challenged Athletes Fund has a special program (can't remember the name) for military veterans.
    Challenged Athletes FOUNDATION:

    It is called Operation Rebound

    (KLD)

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    I'm going to list some of the organizations that I know of. Please add to this list any that you may know of.

    All information is copied from the websites. I have either personally worked with all of these organizations or had a close friend work with them. I can recommend all of them.

    Canines for Veterans
    Canines for Veterans is a national program that provides Veterans with disabilities quality trained service dogs. The program works with military prisoners at the Naval Consolidated Brig Charleston and teaches them how to train rescue dogs as service dogs for the wounded and injured Veteran. Know as the “triple win” the Canines for Veterans program has twice been awarded a Newman’s Own Award for program innovations supporting our military and their families, is approved by the US Department of Labor as an apprenticeship program and was recently named a Joining Forces Community Challenge finalist.


    Train A Dog - Save A Warrior
    A rescue dog from a shelter or the warrior’s own personal dog, if deemed appropriate in temperament, demeanor, and size, will be evaluated, enter BOOT CAMP, and be trained specific commands for specific needs of a wounded warrior with PTSD.

    This extensive and costly training is at no charge to the warrior and his dog, with training lasting 3-4 months at the least. Once training is completed and the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizenship classification is awarded to the team, and after intensive training to meet the specific needs of the specific warrior, the dog will be eligible for service dog designation, according to the American Disabilities Act.

    The team will carry the necessary health certificates and documentation and will be able to accompany the warrior to stores, restaurants, living accommodations, and permitting full access to any and all places the warrior wishes to visit.

    TADSAW will also work with your dog if s/he passes a free temperament test at your home by a TADSW trainer.


    The Independence Fund
    The Indy Fund was originally started in 2007 by because of the observations of its founder that neither the Department of Defense nor the Veteran's Administration were sufficiently providing some of the most severely mobility challenged veterans (spinal cord injured, triple and quadruple amputees) with the state of the art wheelchairs that they deserve. Since then the Independence Fund has provided more than $700,000.00 in mobility devices to deserving veterans of the War on Terror.

    They have provided adaptive sports equipment such as hand cycles and recumbent tricycles to several of my friends.

    They also provide a caregiver retreat.
    Located in the heart of the South Carolina Lowcountry, the award winning Palm Key Resort will host the inaugural Independence Retreat for the most overlooked heroes of the War on Terror, the caregivers of the severely injured. The natural beauty and calming qualities of the location offer an ideal setting for providing increased wellness in our severely injured veterans and their caregivers.


    World T.E.A.M. Sports
    For more than 20 years, we have used athletics to challenge disabled men, women and children to accomplish goals they never thought possible. In all our events – whether mountain climbing, biking, white water rafting or many other sports – we include both disabled and able-bodied participants.

    Four things always happen at our events:

    • Disabled participants build self confidence and physical fitness.

    • The disabled provide a role model for other disabled citizens, encouraging them to take up physical activities.

    • The disabled become a moving inspiration to other participants and to spectators when they see that disabled individuals can meet challenges beyond anyone’s imagination.

    • The disabled and able-bodied participants learn to work as a team to overcome those challenges.

    We change lives through sports


    Wounded Warrior Project
    The Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) Transition Training Academy™ (TTA) provides innovative information technology (IT) training for service members injured on active duty who face unique challenges as they transition to civilian life or seek to change their military specialty. All TTA courses and class materials are provided free of charge to warriors and the spouses or caregivers.

    Soldier Ride is a unique four-day cycling opportunity for Wounded Warriors to use cycling and the bonds of service to overcome physical, mental, or emotional wounds. The rides are exhilarating and a great way to help warriors gain confidence and realize you can do this!

    Project Odyssey. Through outdoor, recreational activities, you will discover inner strength and find the courage to continue your journey to recovery. The experiences gained from Project Odyssey help you work through challenges related to combat stress and improve mental attitudes and outlook. Activities include horseback riding, canoeing, whitewater rafting, kayaking, rock climbing, a high ropes course, fishing, skeet shooting, sled hockey, and skiing at retreats held in various locations across the country. You are encouraged to build new skills, connect with peers, and find support for combat stress among Wounded Warrior Project® (WWP) staff and trained counselors.

    Adaptive Sports. Through our partnership with high quality, specialized disabled sports providers, we are able to deliver dynamic and engaging year-round sports and fitness programs to help injured service members gain confidence and independence, while adapting to life after injury. With adaptive equipment and trained instructors, warriors can participate in almost any sport or fitness activity, moving them beyond rehabilitation and toward a full and productive life. These programs are designed to encompass all areas of fitness and exercise including nutrition and physical training to build a healthy and fit lifestyle.


    Project Sanctuary
    Project Sanctuary provides therapeutic retreats enabling military families to reconnect and reintegrate into their communities through education, innovative services and supportive follow through. Of the hundreds of families served through our program so far, 90% are still married; all servicemen and women who want to work have a job, and we happily report NO SUICIDES. Our program works.

    All services are provided absolutely free of charge to service personnel and their families. Assistance with travel expenses may be available for families who qualify.

    Project Sanctuary retreats are open to all branches, active duty or veteran families who believe that they would benefit from a theraputic retreat.
    Thanks for your posts, and your service.

  6. #6
    Senior Member IsMaisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside Fort Bragg, NC USA
    Posts
    546
    I don't have the contact's name and number anymore, but SRAM will sell any of their components to a disabled vet at the same discount they offer employees.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMaisin View Post
    The Independence Fund
    The Indy Fund was originally started in 2007 by because of the observations of its founder that neither the Department of Defense nor the Veteran's Administration were sufficiently providing some of the most severely mobility challenged veterans (spinal cord injured, triple and quadruple amputees) with the state of the art wheelchairs that they deserve.
    I'm not saying that there may not be issues with solders that sustain amputations and severe brain injuries, but I must take exception with the premise of this statement when it comes to state-of-the-art wheelchairs and those who have an SCI. SCI/D is an entrely different system of care in the VA and the mobility equipment is top notch.

    Thanks again for your service.


  8. #8
    Senior Member IsMaisin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Just outside Fort Bragg, NC USA
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    I'm not saying that there may not be issues with solders that sustain amputations and severe brain injuries, but I must take exception with the premise of this statement when it comes to state-of-the-art wheelchairs and those who have an SCI. SCI/D is an entrely different system of care in the VA and the mobility equipment is top notch.
    I completely agree with you. My personal experience with every person in the VA has been wonderful. While I may occasionally find the paperwork frustrating, there is not one person in the organization that has not done their utmost for me and the others I know.

    The blurbs by each organization were quotes from their websites.
    Played with bombs- No SCI, Brain Damage enough that I require a chair and a caregiver.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    2,517
    Blog Entries
    1
    Does anyone know how I would find an organization that could use equipment (a never-used lift for now) in central New Jersey?

  10. #10
    If you got it from the VA, you can donate it back through the VA Prosthetics department.

    If you got it through other insurance, try calling organizations for those with serious neurologic disabilities. We donated a power wheelchair to the Parkinson's Foundation, and in some areas the MS Society has equipment banks as well. You could also offer it to a local large rehab center on the condition that it ONLY go to a person whose own insurance has declined coverage for the equipment you are offering.

    (KLD)

Similar Threads

  1. Could the following be true? Unused TV airwaves can provide internet services
    By Wise Young in forum Science, Medicine, & Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 01:30 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 08:19 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2002, 12:38 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-10-2002, 04:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •