Thread: intubation pain in throat...

intubation pain in throat...

Should I just treat the continuous irritation from being intubated during surgery as a sore throat?

Nothing's making this go away- please don't suggest gargling as I cant bend or twist to get up for weeks yet..

Thank you in advance
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Cloreseptic or another sore throat spray might help. I had one in for about a week and the nurses rigged up a way I could sip water everytime I woke up. According to the spouse when he was there that was every 7 minutes. If yours was in just for surgery it should fade quickly. Here's to a quick healing!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Post surgery it takes about 3 or 4 days. Drink a LOT of water, that's really all you can do.
    Rebecca
    Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
    Mother of 2 active boys!

ugh, hate when they do that. ask for something that numbs the throat. or the cloroseptic spray stuff is good. gargling can be done if you can prop your head on a pillow.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

What`s up iwth Anethesiologists in the states, it seems like everytime somebody gets intubated there is all this colateral damage to vocal cords, teeth, prolonged sore throats etc. I think I'm at 25 surgeries give or take and the worst I've ever had was a sore throat for two days. I can see damage happening in emergency situations where you need that airway in now but for elective or semi urgent surgery?

I hope you're feeling better soon. I was wondering what you were up to. too bad it was surgery. get well soon.

Canuck, I was intubated after being knocked out in Germany. I was also in an induced coma because my response to that tube was to fight it the only way I could since nothing below my neck was working that first week. At 10 days they go to tracheostomies so I still love the nurse who stayed after her shifts to work on getting me off the machine before that and the huge dose of methylpredisolone probably didn't hurt.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I get your point Sue, I was more reffering to situations like planned surgery where they have lots of time visualise the airway, the airway anatomically normal, situations where there is no real reason to cause the damage. I don't know it just seems weird to me.

It may be how each person reacts to the gag reflex? I've also heard of a few who had no real side effects after operations and it may be very individual. I was also treated for thrush a few days after extubation because steroids and intubation often produce fungal infections. Thankfully this is well known and ICUs and step down wards know to check for this and treat it quickly.