Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spasms?

spasms?

Hey guys I posted a video of my foot involuntary moving. I am L1 burst that should of been flaccid and lmn but I respond to stim and have this type of movement in both my ankles. Also my glutes tens up by themselves but I didn't want to post a video of that haha let me know what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmf9...e_gdata_player

Sorry I didn't watch the video, but from what you describe, I expect you are experiencing clonus, which is very common in spinal cord injury. It is an involuntary response.

According to medical dictionaries:
    clonus /clo·nus/ (klo´nus)
    ---alternate involuntary muscular contraction and relaxation in rapid succession.
    ---a continuous rhythmic reflex tremor initiated by the spinal cord below an area of spinal cord injury, set in motion by reflex testing.clon´ic
    ankle clonus , foot clonus a series of abnormal reflex movements of the foot, induced by sudden dorsiflexion, causing alternate contraction and relaxation of the triceps surae muscle.
    wrist clonus spasmodic movement of the hand, induced by forcibly extending the hand at the wrist.
    ---A form of movement marked by contractions and relaxations of a muscle, occurring in rapid succession, after forcible extension or flexion of a part. Also called clonospasm.
    ---an abnormal pattern of neuromuscular activity, characterized by rapidly alternating involuntary contraction and relaxation of skeletal muscle.

All the best,
    GJ

Hey GJ

I didnt hurt my spinal cord but my cauda equina.
    They checked my clonus at therapy and it was=0 both feets.

No, thats not clonus.. Clonus is like when you put sudden pressure to your foot, it then starts bouncing. I dont know what that is called, its a slight spasms/contraction, just bad signals from brain to foot.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

My left foot does that all day and all night...about every 30 seconds for the last 10+ yrs.
    DIGG.

Well if its a bad signal from brain to foot and I didn't hurt my spinal cord. What causes the spasm? And if I have the connection to.my foot with peripheral nerve and I didn't hurt my spinal cord what is wrong.

It looks like it may be a Babinski reflex, which is an abnormal reflex most often seen when stroking the sole of the foot after an UPPER MOTOR NEURON injury. Are you positive your injury is CES and not a conus (cord) injury?? Initially they can look pretty much the same. If you have tone in paralyzed muscles now, and reflexes such as a Babinski, you don't have only a peripheral nerve (cauda equina) injury unless you have gotten considerable return and regrowth of those nerves.

(KLD)

Yes same thing happen when I run my mail on bottom of my feet. Although when I slam my foot.on the ground my toes try to claw into the ground which would be total opposite. And I though injury to conus and cauda equina would result in lower motor neuron injury as they are located in lumbar enlargement area. My muscles don't have any tone. They are flaccid and atrophied. I use stim to give them some contraction time.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Yes same thing happen when I run my mail on bottom of my feet. Although when I slam my foot.on the ground my toes try to claw into the ground which would be total opposite. And I though injury to conus and cauda equina would result in lower motor neuron injury as they are located in lumbar enlargement area. My muscles don't have any tone. They are flaccid and atrophied. I use stim to give them some contraction time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Hey GJ

I didnt hurt my spinal cord but my cauda equina.
    They checked my clonus at therapy and it was=0 both feets.
    Conus and clonus are different

conus medullaris
    the cone-shaped caudal end of the spinal cord; found at the level of the upper lumbar vertebrae in the human spine.

clonus /clo·nus/ (klo´nus)
    ---alternate involuntary muscular contraction and relaxation in rapid succession.
    ---a continuous rhythmic reflex tremor initiated by the spinal cord below an area of spinal cord injury, set in motion by reflex testing
    ---ankle clonus, foot clonus a series of abnormal reflex movements of the foot, induced by sudden dorsiflexion, causing alternate contraction and relaxation of the triceps surae muscle.
    wrist clonus spasmodic movement of the hand, induced by forcibly extending the hand at the wrist.
    ---A form of movement marked by contractions and relaxations of a muscle, occurring in rapid succession, after forcible extension or flexion of a part. Also called clonospasm.
    ---an abnormal pattern of neuromuscular activity, characterized by rapidly alternating involuntary contraction and relaxation of skeletal muscle.

All the best,
    GJ

SCI-Nurse is right - that is not clonus and it does look like a reflex. There is another reflex that could be triggered by slamming your foot down. These reflexes are generally absent in injuries that are pure lower motor neuron (cauda equina) but if the conus medullaris was involved, then you would have some upper motor neuron signs - like reflexes.
    I'm not sure what to say about your gluts...
    Have you noticed any other changes since your injury?
    Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.