Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Recovery

My Recovery

This is a video I made to document my recovery. I don't have much video of me but this does a good job telling the story of my injury and recovery thus far.

markflounlacker.blogspot.com

Very inspiring!

Wow Mark, you are doing amazing. You presented your story well. Somehow I think even if you never got the return you did with walking, you would still find a way to enjoy what you love. At least that was true for me. We still tent camped and swam in the lake. I just had to adapt some things to make it possible.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I also would like to ask: Can you lay on your side and lift your leg all the way up. I can go front to back but not up and down that way. I can also do side to side while standing but not while laying down. My injury is technically all three vertebra but L1 was crushed into the cord. Also what about feeling? I have a saddle type where I can't feel or it is numb everywhere a saddle would touch if I were to sit in one.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

darkeye- I am just now beginning to be able to scissor my leg against gavity. My abductor on my left leg sucks. I have the same saddle numbness. If you sliced me in half from front to back. My sensation is screwed on my back and pretty normal front. BandB no bueno though I can squeeze out a pee if need be and I have bowel under control but have no feeling there. That is why they thought I was complete at first. I dislocated between T12 and L1. We are probably pretty damn close it sounds like.

Oh yea and you are right. I was out in my chair right away. I finished school, was working, going to kid's sporting events, happy hour, surfing before I was walking in any functional way.
    Something hit right away with me that I was lucky to be alive. I think when I hugged my wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    darkeye- I am just now beginning to be able to scissor my leg against gavity. My abductor on my left leg sucks. I have the same saddle numbness. If you sliced me in half from front to back. My sensation is screwed on my back and pretty normal front. BandB no bueno though I can squeeze out a pee if need be and I have bowel under control but have no feeling there. That is why they thought I was complete at first. I dislocated between T12 and L1. We are probably pretty damn close it sounds like.
    I think we are indeed. I was injured in 1989 before they knew that catheterizing was better SCI injuries. So I pee on a time schedule. I can force it out but I can't stop it once it starts. I am having lots of problems due to 23 years of this. I cannot do the scissors against gravity at all.

But the slicing lol sounds very familiar. I have had one doctor say complete and another incomplete even though I have no feeling like you. My sensation is good on the tops of my legs but it is strange everywhere else. The insides between the knee and ankle are very sensitive to everything. A bump to the knee sends me to the ground because it is just over sensitive it seems. I feel pressure so I just got used to the fact that when I feel that increase in pressure something is touching me even though I don't know what.

Like you my daughter was 6 months old when I was injured and she really provided me with a strong desire to just have a full life either way. At one point, we took a folding chair out to the ball field and she pitched to me while I sat behind home plate with a glove. Her motivation to hit the glove was not to kill her mother by a shot to the head...lol She played fast pitch softball until she took up tennis in high school. Those were good times.

Inspiring video! You have made terrific progress and I know there is more to come. I agree with Daisey that you would have been ingenious in figuring out how to return to the best of life, even if you hadn't had this much return. I wish additional returns and accomplishments for you!

Thanks Truly. Its been great hearing about your experience and the progress you have made as well.

Blog Entries
    Mark, can you check on the video link? Is it just i who cannot open it, or is it something you could fix?