Thread: Neurontin and Pregnancy?

Neurontin and Pregnancy?

I have a non-SCI friend whose doctor wants to put her on Neurontin, but she is currently trying to get pregnant. The neurologist told her that it's a class C drug and that it's safe to take while pregnant. Have any of you taken it while pregnant?
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

I have not, but would never take a class c drug while pregnant.
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by TINAMARIE View Post
    I have a non-SCI friend whose doctor wants to put her on Neurontin, but she is currently trying to get pregnant. The neurologist told her that it's a class C drug and that it's safe to take while pregnant. Have any of you taken it while pregnant?
    Tinamarie,

It is true that Neurontin has been categorized as a Class C drug. Class C means that animal studies have revealed some fetotoxicity and the drug should be given in pregnant women only if it is truly effective for pain and the benefits outweigh the risks. The FDA advises that pregnant patients or breastfeeding mothers should take the drug only if the benefits outweigh the risks. Pregnanant who take Neurontin should sign up for the North American Antiepileptic Drug (NAAED) Pregnancy Registry so that any problems can be tracked. http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/gabapentin.html

Wise.

Wise. Are there any pain meds for nerve pain that are safer while pregnant?

Quote Originally Posted by ECUrach85 View Post
    Wise. Are there any pain meds for nerve pain that are safer while pregnant?
    I think you should definitely discuss this with your doctors before becoming pregnant. Just guessing, but I think that the nature of pain meds put them in the Category C & D for potential fetal harm. How bad is your pain? And please feel free to PM me if you have any questions - I'm C5-6 (no tris or fingers), 22 years post with a 6 year old daughter. Good luck!
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Since I'm not a professional medical type my ideas are just that not facts or based on 4 to 12 years of college or post grad education. Depending on the reason for the nerve pain your friend might want to discuss pot with her doctor. I'm sure if he looks he'll find papers on its use for pain in Europe. They don't have the same regulations on plants that our pharmaceutical companies work under. I was given a vile tasting sleeping liquid in the German hospital I was in that was non-narcotic and non-addictive. It was a very concentrated form of valerian root in liquid form. I don't know what the doc will find but it can't hurt to look.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I've been on Class C medications during 2 previous pregnancies & both my boys were healthy. The medication I was on was Lortab 5...my 1st was towards the end of my pregnancy because my migraines & other pains were getting unbearable. The OB also put me on Zoloft my last trimester, too. With the 2nd, I was on Lortab 5 throughout the entire pregnancy because I had back problems, herniated disc in my neck, shoulder pain, plus migraines. My doctor added Celexa during the end of my 2nd trimester. Being pregnant again, I'm no longer on Lortab for pain management, so I'm leery about my current pain meds plus I'm about to start Neurontin. I'm just saying, it is possible to have normal, healthy children while taking Class C, but only if the mother has nothing else she can take to help relieve pain & such.