Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What skills and knowledge are most important?

Many state Medicaid waiver programs allow you to pay a family member to be your PCA; that does not only apply to Veterans.

For my mother, our main criteria for selection was a willingness to learn the care and take direction in how it was to be done, dependability, honesty, and good interpersonal skills (treating my mother with respect and engaging in conversation and discussion).

If they had any clinical background in nursing (students or job) or as an aide it was a plus in most cases, although sometimes there was an issue of my mother's care needing to be done differently than how they were used to doing it...which sometimes made it easier with the eager-to-learn neophyte rather than the experienced nurse or aide. The latter often had a problem understanding that in my mother's home, my mother and I were in charge, and would make decisions about care, not the caregiver.

(KLD)

For now I'm so very lucky to be taken care of by family mostly my mother. If I have to hire someone it's going to be a little scary just reading the paper it's full of "caregivers" arrested for stealing medications, drunk driving, abuse, etc.
    Scary, scary, scary what's wrong with society where people treat others like sh*t!!!
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Many state Medicaid waiver programs allow you to pay a family member to be your PCA; that does not only apply to Veterans.
    (KLD)
    You have to qualify for Medicaid. There are financial requirements that limit assets, income, and cash.

All the best,
    GJ

Respect goes both ways. When I said please don't blast the TV volume that includes music. And no, I do not want to join you in praying to Jesus that I'll be cured and walking today. Please leave your beliefs at your home or I'll cast a spell to mute you.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.