Thread: anyone using self-injectable pain meds

anyone using self-injectable pain meds

and what are they?

i'm just dying, screaming at night so bad i had blood coming from my throat, I don't even know how loud it is, scared the bejesus out of my son visiting over the holidays,have a doc appt Monday.

Will try prialt (ziconotide) but there seems nothing left

thanks for any thoughts

please no info about the perils of prialt, if something doesn't break soon I will.

ket
    Last edited by bollefen; 01-25-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: can't type worth a shit naymore
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

LOL can't type the reason for etiding either crap can't get thisone out right sigh
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Bollefen

I have been observing your posts for a while with much sadness. Your pain sounds horrendous. I can get out and about, but feel like I experience nothing also. I have spent a large portion of the last 7 months researching like crazy for relief from neuro pain, and am surprised at the lack of discussion re recomendations made in Canavero and Bonicalzi's Central Pain Syndrome: Pathophysiology, diagnosis and management. They undertake a thorough and critical review of the research literature and proposed mechanisms of central pain and develop what appears to be a rational evidence based approach to CP. They refer to them as the TANG guidelines:

For continuous spontaneous pain which I know is torture Try:

Amitryptyline 3 months, then if ineffective
    Mexilitine for 1 month, titrated to 1000mg then if no good
    Lamotrigine for one month tetrad to 600-800mg or side effects.

These three drugs appear to be the end of the rational drug therapy. They see an add on role for gabapentin and pregabalin only, as in their experience, patient response is limited.

For Paroxymal shooting pains they recommendCarbamaepine/ oxcarbazepine, lamotrigine and levetiracetam, again with an add on role only for gaba/pregaba.
    If control is unsatisfactory, add on TENS, tDCS

If control is still unsatisfactory, where the individual has no preserved leminiscal conduction, and are propofol or tmS responsive surgical measures are considered, i.e.:extradural cortical stimulation or intrathecal device implantation

Where leminiscal conduction is preserved:, try SCS, then Extradural cortical stimulation, ECT and experimental approaches.

They discuss at length their theory and propose a possible cure for CP. It is acheived through invasive brain surgery and is reserved for those not responding to drug or other therapy. The procedure is a subparietal radiatotomy/ posterior capsulotomy.

I read post after post of extreme cases of pain. People acheiving little with opiates, anticonvulsants etc etc. There are researchers/physicians out there working for better treatment of this horrendous condition. We should be looking broader and discussing these other options.

Surgery, especially brain surgery scares the shit out of me. My cognitive decline has been the most horrible experience, and the thought of being left mentally damaged scares me even more, but when at the end of the rope as so many are, at minimum, these issues should be discussed and commented on by those with more knowledge than a person with an economics degree and half a psychology degree notched on his belt.

THe point is that there may be more options. You may have tried them all, but these protocols which appear to be reasonably based are not being discussed. Mate, from over here in Australia, I wish you all the best and that you find some space soon.

J

As an add on: Everyone suffering should be reading the aforementioned text and at minimum discussing it with their Pain Physicians. It could be total crap, but they appear to be highly regarded in the field.
    J

sadly i have been this entire route plus several totally out of the box eastern medicine etc. only flyer left i'll be trying is naloxone (sp) andprialt if the insurance will pay.

some the side effects have necessitated premature trial end, others just nada.

I really don't get it, most folks get some relief from something. I have a significant scientific background and thought to learn and research but my cognitive skill have diminished through both long term meds, too much general anesthesia and the pain itself the worst offender.

at this point i only want the prialt trial and availability of a one shot, put me out for a few hours without going to hospital and the $$$$$ for them to sympathize.

ket
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

Dear ket,
    I have read your posts and know that you have tried lots of different medications including ketamine infusion. Have you also tried lithocaine infusion. I have been offered both of these. I have the Lithocaine Patches,I use up to three in 12 hour period as a top up for my other meds and they give a little more help to dull down the pain, but only work o the area they are applied to

I do not know of any self injectable meds for neuropathic pain.

Some people get on with ziconotide and some don’t same as some folk get on with meds others find unhelpful. I have heard that some people have had injections of ziconotide to see if they are effective and then have it given in a pain pump.

I hope you fine something to help you.
    Best wishes to you.