Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is it hemroids and what should I do?

Because it doesn't wash out easily, and it deteriorates latex, petroleum jelly is generally not recommended for bowel care, nor for vaginal use.

(KLD)

Justing stating what I've been using for almost 5 yrs. w/o problems.

I'm sure like probably 90 percent of SCI people have hemmoroids, almost no way to avoid them with the way we are forced to do things. That picture posted is probably the pretty average way a SCI looks after a few years. Mine started around 3 or 4 years into the injury.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I read on another thread that stool buildup can cause hemorrhoids? I know it's not the best but I go Monday, Thursday then sometime wait til Monday to go again. Or like Tuesday Friday Monday. I'm kinda random

It is healthier for your gut all together to do bowel care at least 3X weekly. Less often has been associated with obstructive megacolon, and yes, the harder your stool (from sitting in your gut longer) the higher your risk of hemorrhoids. Also, if stool is really hard and there is a lot of it, you often have to do more dig stim to evacuate, which can increase your risks for hemorrhoids. A regular routine will also be much more successful in accident prevention.

(KLD)

bowel routine definitely needs to be regular. doing things at the same time, each time. especially now that you're doing things on your own, it'll just be easier on you. also, again, diet is a big part of that. the harder the stool, the harder it is to come out. keep up the good work!
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMR1105 View Post
    Justing stating what I've been using for almost 5 yrs. w/o problems.
    +1 on the Vaseline for almost 5 years. And I am 99% sure this is what I was instructed to do when I was at Shepherd, although I have used water based on occasion.

Somebody should invent a small video camera for use during bp's seems like it would be especially helpful for people lacking good sensation/mobility in their fingers who have to use a device for dig stim.

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    Somebody should invent a small video camera for use during bp's seems like it would be especially helpful for people lacking good sensation/mobility in their fingers who have to use a device for dig stim.

I agree. I'm scared to lose the mirror because I don't know what I'm poking

Once every couple days is probably ideal.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred