Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $450 for oil pan gasket replacement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

$450 for oil pan gasket replacement

I went to get my oil change today and the guy there informmed me that I have an oil leak around the oil pan gasket and around the rear main seal. I stopped by a local shop to get an estimate and the mechanic told me $450 to replace the oil pan gasket and $750 for the rear main seal. The gasket is only $6 and the seal is $27. What the heck was this guy thinking? An oil pan gasket is not that difficult to do and he wanted to charge me $450. Is he doing this because he knows that I'm disabled and there's no way that I can do it myself?
    T3 Complete
    to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

What are you driving? It makes a $$ difference. My neighbor has been trying to change a rear seal in a classic pontiac v8 without dropping the crank, but as of last check hasn't succeeded.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I drive an 04 Infiniti i35. With the rear main seal they will have to drop the tranny to get to it. That's more work than the oil pan gasket. I still think $750 for the rear main seal is a little high. However, $450 for an oil pan gasket is just crazy. Only 8 bolts to remove the oil pan and he wanted $450.
    T3 Complete

Quote Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post
    I drive an 04 Infiniti i35. With the rear main seal they will have to drop the tranny to get to it. That's more work than the oil pan gasket. I still think $750 for the rear main seal is a little high. However, $450 for an oil pan gasket is just crazy. Only 8 bolts to remove the oil pan and he wanted $450.
    It might be only a few bolts on the pan but on a lot of vehicles the engine has to be lifted for the pan to clear the oil pump pick-up, and lifting the engine often requires a lot of labor disconnecting/reconnecting components. That could explain the high quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    It might be only a few bolts on the pan but on a lot of vehicles the engine has to be lifted for the pan to clear the oil pump pick-up, and lifting the engine often requires a lot of labor disconnecting/reconnecting components. That could explain the high quote.
    I have worked on Nissan maxima before my injury. Maxima and i35 are exactly the same. The oil pan on these cars are not that difficult. You don't have to lift any thing. Anyways, I'll bring it to another shop to have it check out.
    T3 Complete

I have worked on Nissan maxima before my injury. Maxima and i35 are exactly the same. The oil pan on these cars are not that difficult. You don't have to lift any thing. Anyways, I'll bring it to another shop to have it check out.
    Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to any specific vehicle, only commenting that on some vehicles it can be a substantial amount of work.

Shop around.

I went to get my oil change today and the guy there informmed me that I have an oil leak around the oil pan gasket and around the rear main seal. I stopped by a local shop to get an estimate and the mechanic told me $450 to replace the oil pan gasket and $750 for the rear main seal. The gasket is only $6 and the seal is $27. What the heck was this guy thinking? An oil pan gasket is not that difficult to do and he wanted to charge me $450. Is he doing this because he knows that I'm disabled and there's no way that I can do it myself?
    That happened to me too!

My engine light kept coming on and my mechanic told me they needed to drop my van's engine and take the head off and power bead blast the ports that impurities built up inside the ports and head. He wanted some outrageous price of like $4800.00 to do the job.

I went to the Volkswagen dealership and let them look at it. It was a corroded fuse holder that is located inside the engine compartment that controlled the emissions system. A $400 fix.

I'd get couple of price quotes from different garages and dealerships.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Same ole.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    That happened to me too!

My engine light kept coming on and my mechanic told me they needed to drop my van's engine and take the head off and power bead blast the ports that impurities built up inside the ports and head. He wanted some outrageous price of like $4800.00 to do the job.

I went to the Volkswagen dealership and let them look at it. It was a corroded fuse holder that is located inside the engine compartment that controlled the emissions system. A $400 fix.

I'd get couple of price quotes from different garages and dealerships.

Ti
    I was told the same thing needed to be done when my wife's Jetta began giving her problems. The fix was similar to your's. The fuse to a fuel pump had a faulty connection.

WHat is under the oil pan? Steering rack? Subframe?

I was a technician for Ford before I got hurt. I had lots of training and was certified to do just about anything. Unless it's under warranty, they have to go through the books if it says it takes 2.5 hours no matter how long it takes them. If they didn't do that, imagine how much they could rip you off on a stupid the repair? It would be horrible. The going rate in Arizona per hour is about $135. It's called flat rate. One of the perks of being a dealership mechanic is that most of what I did was under warranty but had to include all of my diagnostic tests including specific details on my diagnosis but a lot of it was pretty much the same parts. If it's the oil pan gasket, you may also have to take down the exhaust pipes coming off the exhaust manifolds, lift the engine a little seeking get the oil pan away from the subframe or it may be something that looks releasable but there's a lot more to it than you'd expect. I've run into several oil pans that didn't have gaskets, just a silicone seal which takes forever to clean off both the oil pan and the engine block. With all that in mind, $450 does not sound too unreasonable. $750 to remove the transmission to replace to rear main seal sounds like a good deal to me and it's probably a seal that is one piece and doesn't require the oil pan to be removed or anything else, but it's just something that requires a special tool most of the time to get into place on the back of the crankshaft. Engines have come a long way since you had to remove the crankshaft to replace the rear main. Now it's just a one piece seal that goes there but still requires the transmission to be pulled out. I don't think they'll take advantage of you just because you're in a chair. Shops have to be reasonable and stick with how the books regulate the times, even if it takes a lot less time to do them what the book says. I hope this helps settle your mind a little on doing that.
    Rear main

C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.