Thread: Rio Mobility Power Handcycle

Rio Mobility Power Handcycle

Anyone have this or tried it?

Toto has one. Search Firefly. I believe the hub motor is 200 watt in a 16 inch wheel.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Thanks

I like the extended wheelbase with a large pneumatic tire. It's like a super freewheel. Just wondering how well it works with a dog pulling. Will it coast and allow the dog to pull or will it resist and requires the motor to move. How about reverse? Is there a powered reverse mode or do you have to reverse manually?

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I like the extended wheelbase with a large pneumatic tire. It's like a super freewheel. Just wondering how well it works with a dog pulling. Will it coast and allow the dog to pull or will it resist and requires the motor to move. How about reverse? Is there a powered reverse mode or do you have to reverse manually?
    It weighs 24 lbs and the US version has enough power to sustain 9-10 MPH speeds. It does have a switch so you can go in reverse.

Your dog could follow behind or run along beside you, but it is not something you would want a dog to pull you in. In addition to the weight and rolling resistance, the fork is oriented just like a chopper. Any pull coming from a direction that wasn't dead straight ahead would cause problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    My son now has one, partly as a result of Toto's review here on CC. As nonoise has said, you might want to do a search for his review on here, he has a good video showing how it works. In fact (not intending to be too rude ) you might have reduced the number of recent posts on CC had you learned how to use the search function earlier!

But to respond to your specific questions (which I don't think you will find elsewhere on CC!), yes it will coast and has minimal resistance when coasting. It is the same type of electric hub motors that you can put on normal bicycles (which still coast normally). It does have a powered reverse.

The only negative aspect is it's weight. It is not light, so picking it up and putting it in a car for example may not be easy (although the battery can be easily removed to make it lighter). But once it is hooked up to a chair the weight is not really relevant.

An alternative cheaper option could be to hook up a Razor scooter to your chair.... See if you can search for that on here...! (In all seriousness, it is a viable alternative depending on your chair).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    It weighs 24 lbs and the US version has enough power to sustain 9-10 MPH speeds. It does have a switch so you can go in reverse.

Your dog could follow behind or run along beside you, but it is not something you would want a dog to pull you in. In addition to the weight and rolling resistance, the fork is oriented just like a chopper. Any pull coming from a direction that wasn't dead straight ahead would cause problems.
    So all this time maybe people have been thinking that my dog is pulling the chair directly. The dog runs along side me on a leash that I hold in my hand and I give her the command to speed up or slow down. I can release the leash any time. She does not pull the chair directly. That would be a disaster waiting to happen.

There are two ways for a dog to pull a chair. From the front in a carting style, or from the side which is also the way service dogs do. Either works fine and both have their own pros and cons.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Banned
    This type of wheelchair pattern bicycle I have seen first time.Is this type of bicycle can be used by common people ?please reply ,If yes then I will also buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MundieJohn View Post
    This type of wheelchair pattern bicycle I have seen first time.Is this type of bicycle can be used by common people ?please reply ,If yes then I will also buy it.
    Yes, it can be used by common people. There is no special skill required.