Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Braces

Braces

Does anybody walk with braces like these everyday. Im trying to ditch my chair.

http://fillauer.com/Orthotics/SPL2.html

There was a guy in therapy that could of walked in those he was pretty good at it. He did it in therapy but never at home, said it was to much work. I geuss it depends on you. What is your injury ? Complete, incomplete, how long ? Have you used them & are comfortable ? I wish like hell I could use them even just to stand up & piss like a man!!! So if it was me & I was able I for sure would

Ive been injured for 8 months now. And I am L1 cauda equina incomplete. My hip flexors working pretty good i can lift my legs off my bed (knee). Some hamstrings, adductors working. Very strong upper body and core so i want to ditch my chair as much as i can. Im also 6'3' so i wanna be tall again.

I would think you could use them with crutches. They are probably expensive. Worth a try for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    Ive been injured for 8 months now. And I am L1 cauda equina incomplete. My hip flexors working pretty good i can lift my legs off my bed (knee). Some hamstrings, adductors working. Very strong upper body and core so i want to ditch my chair as much as i can. Im also 6'3' so i wanna be tall again.
    You need AFO's if you can bend your knees and have that much strength. Where are you doing your rehab? Did they not offer AFO's to you as part of your rehab?

I am T12 and have walked full time for 23 years with a cane and AFO's.

It is doable but you have to have physical therapy and the right brace.

Here are mine:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...ghlight=braces
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

try it. those you put a link to probably wont help you though. see a physiatrist. The physiatrist will send you to a local brace maker or gait lab if it is possible you can balance, lift, and move a leg forward. If you are a complete injury, standing braces are good if only to keep your bones strong. You need to have the braces made for you though so the fit is just right to prevent sores, and so they conform to your balance needs.

darkeye- Do you wear those afos on both feet. I have a Ritchie Brace that has a hinge. Are yours fixed.

Fillauer also has a dynamic afo. Anyone know anything about those? I have been thinking of trying something new. My brace allows for movement which is nice because it allows my calf to stay tone. But maybe there are better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MFlounlacker View Post
    darkeye- Do you wear those afos on both feet. I have a Ritchie Brace that has a hinge. Are yours fixed.

Fillauer also has a dynamic afo. Anyone know anything about those? I have been thinking of trying something new. My brace allows for movement which is nice because it allows my calf to stay tone. But maybe there are better ones.
    Yes both feet and they are fixed with no hinges. I have no ankles.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I have my right ankle. No left. Do your feet feel strange? My left foot feels weird all the time. Proprioception sucks. Does your lack of ankles cause your knee joint to be funky too? Mine is kind of weird even though the quad is stronger than on my good leg.

I am T12 inc. too. Must be more assymetric though. bad left/good right

I have a pair of KAFOs just like those. Its damn hard to get them to work right. I have moved on to AFOs on both feet, but think that I try My KAFOs on again just to see if I can do better with them now that my quads are stronger, but they weight about 5 pounds apiece, which is a lot for someone with weak legs.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old