Thread: Adhesion and cysts

Adhesion and cysts

Had anyone take a look in this old method of preventing retethering of spinal cord by using permanent sutures hanging the spinal cord away from the dura surface to avoid adhesion? The method developped by a group of Japanese Drs named Sakamoto H, Hakuba A.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2013770

Quote Originally Posted by jack Yim View Post
    Had anyone take a look in this old method of preventing retethering of spinal cord by using permanent sutures hanging the spinal cord away from the dura surface to avoid adhesion? The method developped by a group of Japanese Drs named Sakamoto H, Hakuba A.

Thanks for posting the reference. I was looking at the wrong ones. This approach may work. Barth Green (after he decompressed syringomyelic cysts) use to put patients on rotabeds so that the spinal cord never pressed against the dura on any one side to allow adhesions to form.

In the laboratory (unpublished), we have been using a variety of biomaterials to prevent such adhesions. Interestingly, one of the best things to prevent adhesion is fat. We take a pinch of subcutaneous fat and place it between the tissues that we do not want to adhere to each other. I know of course that your daughter's cyst originally started up with fat. In any case, it might be a good idea to put some fat around the spinal cord if you choose to do the next operation.

Wise.

Wish these Japanese doctors had operated on me
    The cysts and the tethering have returned even though they got the syringomyelia (but still left me somewhat sensory deficient on the right side of my back).
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Hi Dennis,

From the information of internet, Dr. Sakamoto H had passed away. I would like to ask u when he did the surgery for u, did he do anything to help to prevent retethering occur. Did he use the permanent suture method?

Btw, do you have any idea whether his colleague in Osaka General Hospital keeps using this method to prevent retethering and hows the result?

Thanks

Jack

Hi Wise,

Your suggestion of using fat is interesting. For my daughter's case, the lipoma is still there, attached with some nerve root for sphincter. Will the new introduced fatty tissue combined together with the lipoma and the nerve root?

Jack

Hi Dennis,

From the information of internet, Dr. Sakamoto H had passed away. I would like to ask u when he did the surgery for u, did he do anything to help to prevent retethering occur. Did he use the permanent suture method?

Btw, do you have any idea whether his colleague in Osaka General Hospital keeps using this method to prevent retethering and hows the result?

Thanks

Jack
    Jack, I did not know him personally. I do know neurosurgeons at that hospital.

Wise.

Wise,

In your lab test, do you need to transplant the fat from the same rat into its spinal cord to avoid complication. If it is applied to human surgery, what is the most suitable source of the subcutaneous fat?

Personally the permanent suturing method developed by Dr. Sakammoto H/Hakuba A. seems works but I couldn't find further reports/news of this method after the review of 2005. They reported that no retethering had been recurrented after a 8 years follow up period after using the suturing method. Is that possible you can ask the neurosurgeon you familirized at Osaka Hospital by an e-mail for the updates cos I do need to find a permanent/secure method to tackle retethering problem of my daughter.

Many many thanks

Jack