Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: terri schiavo story should be part of the rally

Originally posted by DA:

why not? whatever that'll stop this madness.
    Because the government has no business being in her personal matters. I'm pretty sure it goes along with the idea of "Limited Government," which Delay and Hastert are usually advocating.

Like I said, give her access to the therapies doctors think will help her and go from there.

-Steven
    ...right or wrong my song is strong, ya don't like it get a-long

My son being a C2 quad (much like CR) use to say before his accident that he would never want to live on life support, just as most of us say.
    In fact he and his friend were working in construction redoing a parking lot at a rehab facility and saw quads all day long. They made a pact with each other that if that happened to them they would pull the plug for each other.
    Well, then the unthinkable happened. My son was in ICU with tubes down his mouth and couldn't speak and his friend came in to see him.
    He told me later that he was laying there petrified that his friend was going to pull the plug!
    He did not want to die, He wanted to LIVE!

So just because her husband said that she had stated that before doesn't mean it is so!!
    So, unless there is clear direction from her by way of a living will, nobody has the right to choose for her. If someone takes the time and thought of preparing a living will, then they are absolutely serious about it.
    Talk is just talk.

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee:

I dont get it? From a nation that voted "Million Dollar Baby" the best and most spectacular movie of the year and now everybody is upset over this? I am really starting to think Americans are a bunch of hipocrates, much like their President.
    what i dont get its the sci members of all ppl. i expect more understanding from cure-wanting sci members. these members dont want terri to have a chance at the same time they want a chance for a better life.

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee:

I dont get it? From a nation that voted "Million Dollar Baby" the best and most spectacular movie of the year and now everybody is upset over this? I am really starting to think Americans are a bunch of hipocrates, much like their President.
    Curt, it is the Hollywood crowd who are singing the praises of the horrible movie. If you will check the stats, I think you will find that "Milliom Dollar Baby" isn't doing so hot at the "box office".
    Also I think that everyone should know that the so called expert witness the husband and judge are relying on is a very prominent voice in the pro-euthanasia movement. I have learned that it should take weeks and or months to diagnose someone as PVS, he spent less than a week, and if what I have read is correct, he only spent 1 day with Terri! They've not done a MRI or PET scans on her, yet they are claiming that she's a lost cause. They make me sick.
    I know what it's like to almost be starved to death, I've been there, it's so painful...... I can't talk about it, it was just to awfull!!!

Linda H.

I thought she was brain dead when I first heard the story...but there's a series of videos showing that she has awareness and some control of her body. Here's one:

Reacting to a swab

She has a functioning brain stem and a working spinal cord, but most of her cerebral cortex is dissolved to liquid. This is not in dispute, and hasn't been for at least 5 years.

I understand the impulse to identify with her, and I share it . . . but it makes no sense to me to equate her situation to that of a high quad. She has exactly the opposite reality as CR! Her body is intact, but her brain is gone--not just damaged, but gone.

It's so troubling that anybody would try to earn political chips out of this family's private misery.

Originally posted by kate:

She has a functioning brain stem and a working spinal cord, but most of her cerebral cortex is dissolved to liquid. This is not in dispute, and hasn't been for at least 5 years.
    Actually there IS dispute whether she is in Vegetative State or Minimally Conscious State.

Only a functional MIR (fMRI) would be able to detect for sure whether her cortex responds to speech.
    Why do you think the husband and the judge don't want to order a fMRI??

~ People acting together as a group can accomplish things which no individual acting alone could ever hope to bring about. - Franklin D. Roosevelt ~ www.CureParalysisNow.org

well said kate...

DA...i was saying i would not want to be on life support if i had no brain activity for FIFTEEN YEARS....don't compare what i said with that of christopher reeve....completely different situation...

i feel for her family, as people want to use her...possibly against her will...as a pawn in an already ugly fight...

Originally posted by jayday9:

i would not want to be on life support if i had no brain activity for FIFTEEN YEARS....

Signs of Awareness Seen in Brain-Injured Patients
    By BENEDICT CAREY

Published: February 8, 2005

Thousands of brain-damaged people who are treated as if they are almost completely unaware may in fact hear and register what is going on around them but be unable to respond, a new brain-imaging study suggests.

The findings, if repeated in follow-up experiments, could have sweeping implications for how to care best for these patients. Some experts said the study, which appeared yesterday in the journal Neurology, could also have consequences for legal cases in which parties dispute the mental state of an unresponsive patient.

The research showed that the brain-imaging technology, magnetic resonance imaging, can be a powerful tool to help doctors and family members determine whether a person has lost all awareness or is still somewhat mentally engaged, experts said.

"This study gave me goose bumps, because it shows this possibility of this profound isolation, that these people are there, that they've been there all along, even though we've been treating them as if they're not," said Dr. Joseph Fins, chief of the medical ethics division of New York Presbyterian Hospital-Weill Cornell Medical Center. Dr. Fins was not involved in the study but collaborates with its authors on other projects.

Other experts warned that the new research was more suggestive than conclusive, and that it did not mean that unresponsive people with brain damage were more likely to recover or that treatment was yet possible.

But they said the study did open a window on a world that has been neglected by medical inquiry. "This is an extremely important work, for that reason alone," said Dr. James Bernat, a professor of neurology at Dartmouth.

Dr. Bernat said findings from studies like these would be relevant to cases like that of Terri Schiavo, a Florida woman with brain damage who has been kept alive for years against her husband's wishes. In that case, which drew the attention of Gov. Jeb Bush and the Legislature, relatives of Ms. Schiavo disagreed about her condition, and a brain-imaging test - once it has been standardized - could help determine whether brain damage has extinguished awareness.

The patients in question have significant brain damage. Three million to six million Americans live with the consequences of serious brain injuries, neurologists said. An estimated 100,000 to 300,000 of them are in what is called a minimally conscious state: they are bedridden, cannot communicate and are unable to feed or care for themselves, but they typically breathe on their own.
    They may occasionally react to instructions to blink their eyes or even reach for a glass, although such responses are unpredictable. By observing behavior in a bedside examination, neurologists can determine whether a person is minimally conscious or in a "persistent vegetative state" - without awareness, and almost certain not to recover.

In the study, a team of neuroscientists in New York, New Jersey and Washington, D.C., used imaging technology to compare brain activity in two young men determined to be minimally conscious with that of seven healthy men and women. In a measure of overall brain activity, the two groups were vastly different: the two minimally conscious men showed less than half the activity of the others.

But the researchers also recorded an audiotape for each of the nine subjects in which a relative or loved one reminisced, telling familiar stories and recalling shared experiences. In each of the brain-damaged patients, the sound of the voice prompted a pattern of brain activity similar to that of the healthy participants.

"We assumed we would get some minimal response in these patients, but nothing like this," said Dr. Nicholas Schiff, an assistant professor of neurology and neuroscience at Weill Cornell Medical College in Manhattan and the study's lead author. The two men showed near-normal patterns in the language-processing areas of their brains, Dr. Schiff said, suggesting that some neural networks "could be perfectly preserved under some conditions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/08/sc...784847&ei=5070

~ People acting together as a group can accomplish things which no individual acting alone could ever hope to bring about. - Franklin D. Roosevelt ~ www.CureParalysisNow.org

faye...that's an amazing study and story....

but it still does not change my opinion that i would not want to live like that for so long...

we'll never know terri's true wishes....unless she is touched by the man upstairs and miraculously wakes up...