Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rear wheels

rear wheels

Now that I have been looking closely at the front caster, I am starting to look more closely at my rear wheels just to educate myself and stay ahead of any potential problems down the road.

The standard wheels on the TiLite ZR2 are lighter than the Spinergy wheels, which come at a steep price, so why do you upgrade to the Spinergy SPOX or LX? Are they so much stronger to pay $1K?

I am assuming you are talking about the new TiLite wheels that are standard as opposed to the sun rims that usually come with new chairs since LX rims are lighter than those. If so...I am not sure people have had them long enough to determine if they are as strong as a Spinergy LX or even a Round Betty wheel since they are relatively new.

For me the LX wheels are much stronger than the standard (sun) wheels. I had to replace the standard wheel spokes many times, but I have never had to replace an LX spoke. Also, since there are not as many spokes on the LX wheel, I can reach my underneath net easier.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Now that I have been looking closely at the front caster, I am starting to look more closely at my rear wheels just to educate myself and stay ahead of any potential problems down the road.

The standard wheels on the TiLite ZR2 are lighter than the Spinergy wheels, which come at a steep price, so why do you upgrade to the Spinergy SPOX or LX? Are they so much stronger to pay $1K?
    They are better wheels and cooler.

I went to Spinergy LX wheels a few years ago. They give me a softer more comfortable ride. They are also very light and strong and as has been mentioned, with fewer spokes, it's easier for me to reach underneath to my chair. I also think they look good. By the way, I don't know about the high cost you mentioned, Spinergy LX wheels have been for sale at sportaid for $550 for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    I am assuming you are talking about the new TiLite wheels that are standard as opposed to the sun rims that usually come with new chairs since LX rims are lighter than those. If so...I am not sure people have had them long enough to determine if they are as strong as a Spinergy LX or even a Round Betty wheel since they are relatively new.

For me the LX wheels are much stronger than the standard (sun) wheels. I had to replace the standard wheel spokes many times, but I have never had to replace an LX spoke. Also, since there are not as many spokes on the LX wheel, I can reach my underneath net easier.
    Yes I am talking about the TiLite wheels that are standard. I have 16-spoke Sun Fusions and 3-spoke X-cores and was wondering how Synergy LX and SPOX fit into the mix.

FYI...Spinergy LX ARE SLX for 26" rim.

No, SLX wheels are for sport chair use, and have 18 or 24 spokes and come in all sizes. LX wheels have 12 spokes and are designed for everyday use.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!

Quote Originally Posted by rlmtrhmiles View Post
    FYI...Spinergy LX ARE SLX for 26" rim.
    A little different, but it works out the same. Spinergy lx 26” are built with the sport hub

Quote Originally Posted by SuprSi View Post
    No, SLX wheels are for sport chair use, and have 18 or 24 spokes and come in all sizes. LX wheels have 12 spokes and are designed for everyday use.
    He means if you order 26" LX you end up with SLX. He ordered 26" LX with his new chair and they sent out SLX. Something about regular LX not being strong enough at 26"
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

huh, that's odd. They list the lx for 26" on their site, I wander if they were just out of stock or something, would have thought the slx's would be more expensive due to the higher spoke count.
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!