Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive skiing...where should I go?

Disabled USA military veterans may also qualify to attend the National Veterans Winter Sports Clinic, which has ski instruction as well as a number of other sports. It is held annually in Colorado, although the resort may vary.

(KLD)

Snow skiing is an expensive sport but if you are willing to go anywhere and turn it into half vacation and half time or more on the hill then I'd have a good look at the programs that are in town so to speak, not a half hour from town. Though most people are stating how difficult mono skiing is, I don't always agree with that. If you are in decent shape and prepare well for heading to altitude and stay well hydrated when you get there and if you have decent balance and are fortunate to be a natural at sports, then it depends on who you get for an instructor and the equipment they provide you. There are excellent facilities with great instructors and great equipment but there is also the opposite of that. I'm not here to bash any of them but from experience I would recommend Telluride and Breckenridge. I hope others will chime in and make GOOD recommendations, there are plenty out there. Point being, equipment and instruction can very much make or brake the experience.
    You could also contact the likes of "Adaptive Adventures inc" and ask them for recommendations.
    I hope your choice works out as I believe snow skiing is one of the greatest adaptive sports alive

Good advice from Roller. Good input from everyone really.

We are each different. It took me the better part of a weekend to get down the easiest of beginner runs. I was physically exhausted at the end of the weekend and could barely get into the Jeep to head home.

For many days after that, I fell a lot. I am now completely independent and head to the mountain on my own all the time.

Everyone is different. I know people who picked it up must faster than me. I'm T10.... pretty incomplete. Use a chair 99% of the time but can walk with canes/crutches.

I have only skied with one program but there are a number of good ones out there. As I believe Scott mentioned, having qualified/certified instructors is important. I learned from Disabled Sports Eastern Sierra. To me, they measure up in every way to what I have heard of Adaptive Sports in Crested Butte. DSES has lots of certified instructors, broad range of equipment and are just great people. They do a couple thousands lessons a year, hold mono ski camps etc.

DSES is in Mammoth Lakes CA though. Pretty far from the East Coast.

I have heard of programs that are not so great. Main thing is lack of experienced instructors from what I have read.

There is a learning curve. Go into it know that and you should be fine, whether heading to a local mountain or making a vacation of it.

Be careful.... it is addictive. I have about 20 days in so far this season. Still hopeful of making it 40-50 days this year.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

If you would have posted this a little earlier you could have signed up to go to Durango, Colorado and ski with the best!! I went last January and they paid for my plane ticket, all my skiing, and I stayed with a host family. It didn't cost me a penny! I would still contact them about being interested in skiing & they will pry work something out for you so its affordable. Totallllly worth it! Everyone is great & work with sit ski's everyday!!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    If you would have posted this a little earlier you could have signed up to go to Durango, Colorado and ski with the best!! I went last January and they paid for my plane ticket, all my skiing, and I stayed with a host family. It didn't cost me a penny! I would still contact them about being interested in skiing & they will pry work something out for you so its affordable. Totallllly worth it! Everyone is great & work with sit ski's everyday!!
    who?

where can i sign up for next yr?

i went with shephard had a blast would like to go again but

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    who?

where can i sign up for next yr?

i went with shephard had a blast would like to go again but
    they accept an "essay" paper of sorts to apply for a scholarship for a ski trip. already over for this year, i think it had to be submitted before xmas for a feb. trip. it was on the adaptive programs website. Many places offer scholarships for the "group" camps, but not for individuals, which sucks. durango has the only deal like this that I've come across.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    they accept an "essay" paper of sorts to apply for a scholarship for a ski trip. already over for this year, i think it had to be submitted before xmas for a feb. trip. it was on the adaptive programs website. Many places offer scholarships for the "group" camps, but not for individuals, which sucks. durango has the only deal like this that I've come across.
    You don't have to write an essay paper. It was just like a two page application asking about your injury and your function & needs. VERY simple. Its only for people that have never ski'd since their injury. Like I said the all-expense paid is already chosen for this year, but I'm sure if you contacted them they would work something out so it didn't cost you much if you wanted to go this year. Contact ASA & they are on facebook too.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Skiing is very difficult to learn and you'll spend most of your first 10 lessons falling over. I'd hate for you to spend thousands of $$ to fly and stay somewhere only to spend your whole time on your side.

There are a lot of "it depends" ... on your conditioning, on your injury level, on the snow conditions and weather, on the instructor/school, on the equipment, on whether you had a good breakfast .... on and on

So, no 2 people will have the same experience. I personally did what Brian suggests and took a few one-day lessons wherever I was at the time. It definitely took me a long time to get things really "dialled in" so it felt great.

But - GET OUT THERE!

I wouldn't discourage someone in good shape with a good attitude from travelling somewhere with good instructors and good conditions in order to get a "crash course" on skiing. I know a lot of people who took a lesson or two and just rocked it.

If you're in decent shape and have the time/money to travel, go to one of the top-notch programs like Winter Park NSCD, Breckenridge BOEC, Tahoe TASS, Telluride, Loon (just to name a few - there are lots of good ones). Take a couple of days of lessons, then a day or 2 off, then another lesson or two. If you do too many days in a row, fatigue prevents you from really improving. The reason why I say this is that equipment settings and instructor guidance can REALLY make the difference between a sweet day and a frustrating one. You want someone who's very used to teaching new monoskiiers.

Happy to give more background on my experience or any advice if you have questions.