Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adaptive skiing...where should I go?

Question Adaptive skiing...where should I go?

Where are some of the better places to learn how to mono ski? This would be my first time adaptive skiing since my injury.

Where do you live?

South Carolina. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US.

Skiing is very difficult to learn and you'll spend most of your first 10 lessons falling over. I'd hate for you to spend thousands of $$ to fly and stay somewhere only to spend your whole time on your side.

If I were you I'd find a place close to you and then go somewhere cool once you take your taining wheels off.

I'm speaking from experience. I went out to Park City, UT way too early and wished I would have waited until I was better.

I am just beginning adaptive snow sports too and agree with Brian. I have done it locally first at a small ski area and am going to VT in March after I have cut my teeth a few times on a small mountain.

Beech Mountain Resort In North Carolina seems like it would suit you well. They have an adaptive program and it would probably be a nice place to start.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

What's your injury level? Bi-skis are a lot easier to learn than a mono.

Does Beech Mountain offer adaptive lessons everyday, or only during their annual adaptive ski clinic? Not much information on their webpage.

I don't have a SCI in the traditional sense, but a progressive form of dystrophy. Wear an AFO to walk and zoom around in my ZRA for longer distances. I have both sensory and motor dysfunction.

Try Cataloochee in NC as well. They have daily lessons but you have to make reservations. I didn't realize Beech was only special events. Sorry.

I did a private lesson and it was great. I went to Roundtop in PA. You would never travel to ski there because anything in NC or closer to you would be as good or better.

PG, they have a great program at Wintergreen in Virginia. 6+/- hour drive for you.
    http://skiwas.org/
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pg2005 View Post
    I'm willing to travel anywhere in the US.
    The Adaptive Sports Center in Crested Butte, CO: www.adaptivesports.org

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    Skiing is very difficult to learn and you'll spend most of your first 10 lessons falling over. I'd hate for you to spend thousands of $$ to fly and stay somewhere only to spend your whole time on your side.

If I were you I'd find a place close to you and then go somewhere cool once you take your taining wheels off.
    This is very true. Adaptive skiing is tough, and it's like nothing else to test your balance.

However, there is merit to learning from the best from the start. I'm not just making wild claims here, but ASC is a top-notch organization with some of the best instructors available, in addition to having a well-stocked equipment room to make sure you're using gear that works best for you, vs. something that just works to get you down the mountain. They're structured to actually pay their instructors (all of whom hold multiple certifications) and not operate on a volunteer basis. That said, they'll work with anyone and have scholarship options available based on financial need.

Call 'em.