Thread: racing chair with easy access

racing chair with easy access

I have a top end racing chair and love the chair. But it is hard to get in. I have lie on the grass and stand the chair on its back in order to slide my legs into position. It is a two man process. Is there another one that is easy to get in alone?

I have seen people put the chair up against a solid object (say a wall), and then from the side get into it...where your everyday is at an angle facing the side of the racing chair. Feet go in first...then the rest. That seems to be one of the most popular ways anyways from what I have seen.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Top End made a video all about fitting, transferring and racing a racing chair. I'll look for it and post link.

Find a wall or the back of your vehicle to butt the back of your wheelchair into. Then flip the racer up in front of you and slide your legs in. Then tilt and slide forward to tip the racer back on the ground. An open frame with footrests is the easiest to get into. Some pics and a sales bump: http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=208793

Thanks guys. That was helpful. But how about getting out? When I get out, I usually lay on my back on the grass and then pull my legs out. I guess it can be done independently. It's just better with a second person, kind of like sex.

Are you using a kneel-er? There are chairs you just sit in the bucket and put your feet on a strap. I am a T6 and could get in and out of one of those easy. Just like Tman describes.

There are a few videos on YouTube that might help you. Here are two that I found.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuTu_2-ZhgE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V20KHpMyIUQ
    c6/7 complete

thanks Justin

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Are you using a kneel-er? There are chairs you just sit in the bucket and put your feet on a strap. I am a T6 and could get in and out of one of those easy. Just like Tman describes.
    I have the older type where the legs tuck into the bucket.