Thread: stem cell treatment in dominican republic

stem cell treatment in dominican republic

anybody hear of medra inc out of california supposed to be (arranging treatments in d.r.)the guys name is dr. rader studied with emcell

These are not legitimate treatments.

what are(lagitimate)treatments I talked to dr.huang waiting list is 2 years long

Originally posted by Schmeky:

These are not legitimate treatments.
    the point is they are doing anything (leaving country) to push the science. the complete opposite of sci research path.

cementhead,

Based on information I got from them, I would suggest extreme caution.

I asked them if they had evidence demonstrating its efficacy or describing the procedure and they said yes. I asked if the information was available via the Internet and they said no, but they would send me an information packet.

The information packet arrived, and I was less than impressed by what was in there. There was a Reuters story discussing the promise of stem cells [from a few years back] printed straight from Yahoo News, a few other similar stories, and some old abstracts from PubMed, including the trial using fetal spinal cord tissue at the University of Gainesville to treat cases of syringomyelia. link

The aim of the Gainesville study was to determine the feasibility and safety of such transplants; no conclusions were drawn based on its efficacy.

There was one or two articles penned by Dr. Rader, but his reasoning was flawed: draining/removing syringomyelic cysts will not have you walking again.

My advice would be to save the money you would've spent on this "treatment" and buy some exercise equipment or send it to Tuszynski or Keirstead.

-Steven
    ...right or wrong my song is strong, ya don't like it get a-long

thanks for the input steve i am only trying to do my homework i am 9 mnths post injury and trying to heal best i can

I understand completely, and you're welcome. Some more about Medra/Dr. Rader from an email I sent a friend, shortly after receiving the packet.

I just got a call from Debra Evans from Medra asking whether or not I had received the info and if I had any questions. I asked if they had further info on the use of their cells to treat SCI beyond the syringomyelia/Gainesville abstract and she dodged the question by saying that they have already treated a number of people with spinal cord injury.

The cells they use are not cultured in anything before transplantation. They come from "therapeutic" or elective abortions [where the fetus is between 5-11 weeks old], and they would just administer the fetal hematopoietic stem cells [from "what would at that point be the fetus's liver"] via IV and the fetal neuronal cells subcutaneously into the lymph nodes.

I told her that I would like to learn some more about those cell types to help me in my decision. She said if I had any questions I could call Dr. Rader and speak directly with him. When she mentioned the fetal cells, I specifically asked if they were cultured with certain growth factors, to which she replied "fetal cells release their own growth factors." She wasn't overtly pushy or anything [at least not yet], so that's a positive... I guess? Her voice sounded like she was very detached from the whole conversation, which was very brief.
    -Steven
    ...right or wrong my song is strong, ya don't like it get a-long

cementhead,

This is a link to what you are seeking. This is what Dr. Young had to say.

http://carecure.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21310

thanks schmecky i have seen enough to make my decision

cementhead,

I know someone locally that was looking at a stem cell treatment overseas (not Huang or Lima). This person was "proud" of the fact that they made this "discovery".

I told them, remember the enourmous national media and worldwide attention given to Chris Reeves death?

Do you think for one minute the legitimate reversal of paralysis will not recieve as much, if not more media attention?

When significant, verified recovery comes, you won't be able to "NOT" know about it, it will be broadcast everywhere for days. It will find you!