Thread: Them Pills Give me the Chills

Exclamation Them Pills Give me the Chills

It has been five months since my SCI (T12 Incomplete) and I have learned to cope with the nerve pain in my legs. I find myself constantly rubbing or scratching my lower legs to desensitize the nerves. This helps. However the freaking lower back pain and hip pain is getting me. I woke up crying in my sleep at 3 am.. and instinctively reached for the pain medication popping 2 of my coveted T3's and 1 beloved Oxycontin knowing full will that I will run out before my next doctors appointment. I wash them down with the vodka and water. This should keep the pain demons away for a few hours.

Them pills give me the chills because I am afraid I will accidentally on purpose overdose on them. I am at my wits end because I can not live with this constant intolerable pain. It just fucking well hurts day in and day out... I never get more than 3 hours sleep at a time. What do you all tell your doctors about your pain to get stronger doses? My pain seems to fall on death ears.

Blog Entries
    That's why they call it pain management not pain cure. I certainly know what you mean. I don't know how I've made it this long. Acquaintances I have that are chaired literally lead normal lives as compared to mine. Pain controls mine, and has done so for ten fucking years. I'm not even afraid of dying , I'm just afraid if pain accompanies it, or even follows it! I'm just super hypersensitive to pain these days.

Pills do make it better as they go in, unfort you can't eat them 24/7 and it hurts more going out. I found patches make it harder to cheat than eating pills.

You are early into your new life and as you know it's not an easy one! You're on to a good start with CC and the many members, including me, that can relate to your pain, sleepless nights, doctor struggles, and the, how do I go on, emotions. The support you need is here if you take advantage of it. I'm in the U.S. so not knowing the PM system in Canada, this the best advise I can offer, however others will probably come along and offer more. You don't mention your prescribed dose per day? Have you asked your Dr. to increase your meds, and if so, what response do you get? Also, IMHO, adding alcohol to the mix can weaken your endurance, both physically and emotionally. It also increases your risk of accidentally OD. Please, allow yourself time to adjust and learn to manage your pain before you give up! Wishing you relief!:-)
    Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
    — Marianne Williamson

thanks for your replies. I went to a walk in clinic today to beg for a few pain killers until I see my new family doc on Monday. The walk in clinic doctor treated me like a drug seeking addict. I left with a script for 20 tylenol 3s and 20 1 mg adavan to help me sleep. I feel for all of you with incomplete SCI s. I may be able to walk like a toddler, and be happy of that, but their is something to be said about quality of life. This is not living if pain dictates life. Wish me luck that my new GP will not be a granola and understands this type of pain. I want stronger pain meds to lead a more normal life. Is that too much to ask?

help with your pain

I am a complete T12 para post for 18 moths. I absolutly understand that leg pain, its a fucker and as the other guy said "pain management" is so tough to conquer. I use Lyrica 150mg 4 times a day as well as klonopin 1mg, percoset(oxycodone) 7.5/325 x4 as well as flexeril x3 daily wich is a muscle relaxer. Lyrica has been more widely used as well as Gabapentin that is the first choice of most spinal injury PM Dr.'s I used this too for about a year and it was to the point that I was using alot of neuro meds and weaned myself off it, as it is a very safe med and has no known drug interactions. I see a great Dr. at Kessler center for rehabilitation in NJ where I went for my rehab after the accident his name is Jeramiah Nievez MD. He stricktly deals with SCI/D on a daily basis and is extreamly knowledgable in the area of pain management , neuropathy steming from spinal cord injury. I too struggle with this awfull leg pain wich often causes my hips to also hurt especialy at night. I take Ambien 10mg most nights to sleep but your Dr. will tell you that he would rather you use your pain meds to help you sleep. I do wake up a few times a night still but just to turn over and then back to sleep. Unfortunatly the constant wakeing up causes the brain to not reach REM wich is the true rest type of sleep that your body needs for repair and release of mental tension. I also worry about getting addicted to these drugs because I have a family and dont need that shit. I also know what its like to be needing my pain meds and sometimes I need more than whats prescribed because im in terrible pain and cant get away from it any other way and about Dr.'s treating me like some drug seeker. The new prescription pain control regularory system also has them running scared and I hated that feeling of being degredated like that. Thats also whats good about Dr.Nieves he understands that only you know what your feeling , doesnt condone taking more but hey if it helps you get through it then fine. I also keep my legs streched out and stand as much as I can with my leg braces , change positon as much as I can to aleviate pressure and occupy your mind as much as possible Ive found that diverting my attention helps quite a bit. Hit me back I like to talk to others about stuff like this because my wifes' heard it a billion times and unless your in our poition they havent any idea what its like to live like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marzt12 View Post
    thanks for your replies. I went to a walk in clinic today to beg for a few pain killers until I see my new family doc on Monday. The walk in clinic doctor treated me like a drug seeking addict. I left with a script for 20 tylenol 3s and 20 1 mg adavan to help me sleep. I feel for all of you with incomplete SCI s. I may be able to walk like a toddler, and be happy of that, but their is something to be said about quality of life. This is not living if pain dictates life. Wish me luck that my new GP will not be a granola and understands this type of pain. I want stronger pain meds to lead a more normal life. Is that too much to ask?
    You need to go to a pain management clinic or establish a relationship with a PCP to get stronger pain medications. You will not get them from a walk in clinic. The unfortunate fact is there are a lot of people who are drug seekers and in a walk in clinic they aren't going to take time to figure out if you are one or not.

3 or 4 in the early morning and no relief.

My cries of pain seem to fall on death ears and I suppose they should. Just because I am in pain and can not sleep my man should not be burdened with the muffled cries. However his snoring makes matter worse. Soon I will have my own bedroom and sleep will be welcome. My situation right now is that I have moved from Calgary to Edmonton, and have had to wait until Jan 28th to see a new family doctor. When I was discharged from the hospital on Jan 3rd I was promised one months worth of medication. This did not happen with regards to pain medication. God forbid a 51 year old woman would go home with enough pain killers to kill a small elephant. Thus I had to go to a walk in and beg for a few bones to tie me over. I am so tired of this and wish I had one restful night. I was up and down and up and down all night and trust me I was not getting lucky with all the ups and downs... My real doctors appointment is approaching soon do you any of you have info I can relate to her that recommends people with this type of injury should use perocet instead of tylenol 3.. I need stronger meds.
    Cold, tired, and in pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    That's why they call it pain management not pain cure. I certainly know what you mean. I don't know how I've made it this long. Acquaintances I have that are chaired literally lead normal lives as compared to mine. Pain controls mine, and has done so for ten fucking years. I'm not even afraid of dying , I'm just afraid if pain accompanies it, or even follows it! I'm just super hypersensitive to pain these days.

Pills do make it better as they go in, unfort you can't eat them 24/7 and it hurts more going out. I found patches make it harder to cheat than eating pills.
    1'm only afraid of a long, sickly death, like from cancer. After 31+ years of this nonsense, the end will be welcome.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.