View Poll Results: What speed should a new high performance manual rigid frame wheelchair be able to go?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • walking speed only

1 2.08%
  • jogging speed

12 25.00%
  • running speed

16 33.33%
  • sprinting speed

6 12.50%
  • faster than sprinting speed

13 27.08%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How fast should a manual rigid frame wheelchair be able to go?

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I am asking about the wheelchair's capabilities, not the rider's strength or skill. So let's say downhill on a perfectly smooth and level road with the rider's skills being perfect and his strength is infinite. Then how fast would you expect the wheelchair to go before it locked up and threw you out?
    i think mine with the stem fork a bit tight could go downhill perfectly around 30mph.

The speed you can go depends of the configuration of the chair, the must important is that you need a chair without flutter and with a good enough distance between rear wheels and casters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5kLqEq4hg

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    i think mine with the stem fork a bit tight could go downhill perfectly around 30mph.

The speed you can go depends of the configuration of the chair, the must important is that you need a chair without flutter and with a good enough distance between rear wheels and casters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG5kLqEq4hg
    Exactly. I agree 100%. I don't know why people think 30 mph is not realistic.

Clearly you have more stability with more distance between the front and rear wheels. But how do you eliminate flutter? What type of wheels and forks do you use?

Exactly. I agree 100%. I don't know why people think 30 mph is not realistic.

Clearly you have more stability with more distance between the front and rear wheels. But how do you eliminate flutter? What type of wheels and forks do you use?
    I don`t have flutter, but for do a video at high speed i tight a bit the nut of my fork stems, this way the fork falls a bit braking to brevent possible flutter at high speed.
    In the video i was using 4" x 1.4" FL softroll casters and the forks was std oracing forks.
    this was the chair of the video.

Fork stems are tight. Maybe it is the 4" x 0.75" casters that are the problem. Otherwise there is something wrong with the design. The chair does not feel right. It does not feel safe. I feel the entire chair vibrating at very low speeds. I feel safer in my 8 year old chair that has been hit by a car.

Fork stems are tight. Maybe it is the 4" x 0.75" casters that are the problem. Otherwise there is something wrong with the design. The chair does not feel right. It does not feel safe. I feel the entire chair vibrating at very low speeds. I feel safer in my 8 year old chair that has been hit by a car.
    What chair is? pics? maybe is desaligned.

It is a new TiLite ZR2. I will sends pics in a few minutes.

Here is a picture

Here are some more pics

Another vote for >sprinting. I've gone down a big hill at what I would guess is 25-30mph with no flutter at all. I've got 4x1" casters, not soft roll, and without tightening the forks. (May have been a bit risky, but it was great fun!)

Toto's right, there's gotta be something not square. Try holding a cd case on the floor alongside the casters to see if the fork stems are square side and front on. May also be an issue with the narrow casters, what do you have on your old chair? Maybe if the forks are straight you could try changing them over?
    T11 Asia A after near-fatal bike crash.. Just happy to still be here

No, I didn't loose my mind... It got scared and ran away!!