View Poll Results: What speed should a new high performance manual rigid frame wheelchair be able to go?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • walking speed only

1 2.08%
  • jogging speed

12 25.00%
  • running speed

16 33.33%
  • sprinting speed

6 12.50%
  • faster than sprinting speed

13 27.08%
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: How fast should a manual rigid frame wheelchair be able to go?

How fast should a manual rigid frame wheelchair be able to go?

This poll is not for a racing chair. It is for an every day wheelchair with a nominal factory configuration.
    Last edited by Axle; 01-21-2013 at 12:44 AM.

And the question is not how fast would you go. The question is how fast should the chair be able to go. After all if you want to go at X mph, the chair should be able to go 2X mph in order to have margin, room for safety.

I don't want to bias your vote. But I want to explain mine. I think I should be able to keep up with a person jogging. It's just a quality of life thing and a reasonable expectation. I picked faster than sprinting because the wheelchair must have margin for safety.

downhill? on flat land? this is kind of silly because top speed downhill depends almost entirely on the rider's wheelchair skill and comfort. on flatland, i would expect to keep up with a jogger or runner, not sprinters.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

Lacesoutvic, Thanks. I am not asking how fast you expect to go. I am asking how fast you expect the wheelchair is capable of going safely.

I am asking about the wheelchair's capabilities, not the rider's strength or skill. So let's say downhill on a perfectly smooth and level road with the rider's skills being perfect and his strength is infinite. Then how fast would you expect the wheelchair to go before it locked up and threw you out?

i voted, but you don't need to make two threads about the same thing.
    T6 incomplete - 14 october 2012

I could not edit the poll so I had to create a second post. Thanks.

Thanks for the revised poll. I couldn't vote in the last one because it was limited to rigid chairs.

I feel that at the price of the chair in question, it should perform as good or better at speed as the one it replaces.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

That is exactly how I feel. The new chair should be a clear winner, especially seeing that it is custom made. I paid for the custom build. I didn't buy a demo. What did I get for it? This new chair loses to my old chair in every aspect but posture. But the posture improvement is due to the custom cushion and back, which I could have put on my old chair. I gave up safety, access (new chair does not clear kitchen counters), weight (my old chair that is 8 years old weighs less) and a luggage rack (can you believe that the luggage rack doesn't hold luggage) and I gained zero. I am one unhappy customer.

In fairness, the access issue is a problem of spec not manufacture, which is not TiLite's responsibility. But they do own all the other problems and there are several.