View Poll Results: For yor manual rigid frame chair, does your fork assembly flutter at 15 mph?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, but not so bad that it is unsafe

1 2.70%
  • yes, and it is bad enough to be unsafe

7 18.92%
  • no

29 78.38%
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Danger: TiLite ZR2 front wheel assembly flutters and locks up

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    Thank you for the offer. If I keep the chair, I would like to take you up on that. But this is not the only problem with the chair. My first choice is to return the chair and get something else that works better.
    good luck with that

Never looked at it that way SCI OTR. This chair costs over $5K and I paid over $1.6K out of pocket. To get back to your analogy, that would be like buying a BMW and having to re-engineer it. I expect a high performance wheelchair to be able to travel downhill safely without modifications.

My dog pulling me at a jog is no faster than traveling downhill. I expect a stock TiLite ZR2 wheelchair to be able to do that. Otherwise they have no business delivering it in that condition. It's a liability if nothing else. I have already fallen out once.
    I agree with SCI_OTR and brian. I thought it might be the narrowness of the caster originally but didn't feel I knew enough to say anything. After reading their posts I completely agree its probably the caster and now see there are even more problems with the caster than width. I have the same caster on my quickie chair but in the 1.5" width. My dog pulls me and I've never experienced flutter, but I've never had the dogs going faster than a good trot. I have german shepherds and they're a trotting breed.

I disagree with your analogy as well, I believe your analogy would be more correct if comparing a new BMW with horribly cheap crap wheels and tires. I'm a horse person and theres a saying, no hoof no horse. Doesn't matter how great the horse is if their hooves are in crap shape. Doesn't matter how great your chair is if you're using shitty wheels. This is the one place that I wish I had done more research before getting my chair, I wish I knew about wheels and tires and had tried to get better options covered by medicaid.

I think another analogy akin to your situation is when people order a chair that flips over easily, or is too wide and hurts their shoulders, and then blames the manufacture. These are custom chairs, you chose the specs and have to take some responsibility for the specs you chose. The worst fitting Oracing in the world could be overshadowed by a well fitting Invacare. You chose casters that are not suitable for your purposes. Try some things before blaming Tilite. I have a quickie chair which is a company I see a lot of complaining about here, and especially about the specific model I have the Q7. But a good portion of the complaints are about things that are caused by poorly chosen specs which is the fault of the person who ordered the chair, not who made it.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Lin, If you had the all the history, you may respond differently. I did not blast TiLite indiscriminately. I went to them first before saying a word here. I gave them time to respond. They said that they have no solution. If what you are saying is true then they should tell me to upgrade the casters. They did not. They said these casters are suitable.

Now let's get back to the analogy. BMW doesn't make crappy wheels. They make good ones and they make better ones. Get the picture?

If you want to stick to that analogy, you bought your BMW without its good wheels. Because Tilite makes good casters. You just didn't get them, you bought the pr1mo ones.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Honestly, until just today, I was under the impression that TiLite does not put out crap. What you just said is that TiLite has "cheap crap wheels" and then they have the good ones.

I am not trying to race. I am only trying to have my dog pull me, which amounts to not much more than going along at a speed of someone jogging/running. Even the standard casters should be capable of that. Unless of course, they are crap, which is what I am getting from your post.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
    Feeding a troll is like wrestling a pig, the pig loves it, and you just get covered with mud.
    Brian is not a troll. He's a very nice guy and honestly trying to help. I think maybe he felt a little jumped on but he speaks well enough for himself. Brian is also, in my opinion the funniest person on CC. I've never laughed harder at anyone's jokes.

So if this what you consider backing up TiLite, I think they would tell you not to do them any favors.

I agree, Brian is not a Troll. Axle is a text book concern troll. You're welcome

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    Brian is not a troll. He's a very nice guy and honestly trying to help. I think maybe he felt a little jumped on but he speaks well enough for himself. Brian is also, in my opinion the funniest person on CC. I've never laughed harder at anyone's jokes.
    Perhaps telling me there is no reason to post a poll and just ask the question is less than helpful and non of his fucking business.

Honestly, until just today, I was under the impression that TiLite does not put out crap. What you just said is that TiLite has "cheap crap wheels" and then they have the good ones.

I am not trying to race. I am only trying to have my dog pull me, which amounts to not much more than going along at a speed of someone jogging/running. Even the standard casters should be capable of that. Unless of course, they are crap, which is what I am getting from your post.
    Axle, I know you had a problem with the castor flutter but please don't consider Tilite the problem even if there was a misunderstanding. What I mean is, they make great stuff and you'll be missing out if you don't consider them as an option for equipment. I've never had the reliability and performance I've gotten with my Tilite TR from any other chair I've owned. Great stuff. In the same vein as your problem, there were some problems with the first SoftRoll tires that came with Tilite chairs. Air-bubbles that left cavities. Not everyone had a problem, a friend got a very bad pair with his Tilite and they crumbled. Tilite sent him a new pair for free there were perfect. It's a good company even if they aren't perfect every second. That's my experience.